Topic

Looking at a ZPacks 30* bag for my wife–summer hiking in the Cascades. Your thoughts?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Looking at a ZPacks 30* bag for my wife–summer hiking in the Cascades. Your thoughts?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    David Drake
    BPL Member

@daviddrake

Locale: North Idaho

My wife would like to start taking longer backpacking trips with me, specifically a Wonderland Trail hike this summer (or a hike in the Cascades of similar length if we don't get a WT permit). She was an enthusiastic 2-3 night backpacker some years ago, but hasn't been on more than a few trips in the last couple years. Her requirements are: 1) Fully enclosed tent; and 2) Sleeping bag, not quilt.

Tent is sorted–last month, we bought a SMD Haven with Net Inner. For bag, we've been looking at the ZPacks in 30*. At 5'3", she would fit the Short, but the Medium would also fit me (I'm 5'6") and bridge the gap between my 40* quilt and WM Ultralite for solo trips.

I'd say she's an average (female) sleeper, in terms of warmth–not too hot, not too cold–mostly side sleeper, with a little tossing and turning. The bag would be paired with an Exped Synmat UL 7. She has a Golite Selkirk 800fp jacket that could be used to extend the bag.

Any thoughts, esp. from female hikers who have used a ZPacks bag (whether or not it worked for you)? I'll be taking my quilt, which I know works for me down to mid 30s, so she could take the WM if needed. But 14 oz vs. 29 oz is significant if the ZPacks 30* will be warm enough. (Yes, we are planning a few shakedown trips beforehand.)

Thanks.

michael levi

@m-l

Locale: W-Never Eat Soggy (W)affles

I use a down hooded 8oz puffy jacket with my 30*, put the hood up and your jacket is part of the sleep system. The Zpacks bags have zippers so its going to be pretty easy to get used to this quilt.

Very lightweight, I think at her 5'3'' height I would go with the 5'9'' medium bag just because you will be able to use it at 5'6'' and its only a 1.3oz difference. The extra length is nice to burrow under on cold nights.

I am 6'0" and got the long, It just borderline works, If I were any taller I would size up. I hope this helps, I have tried other bags and when I got the Zpacks one I was happiest with the full zip. The materials and construction are top notch.

Taylor B

@tboudreau

The warmth will definitely depend on when you're planning on doing the Wonderland. I did it last September and happened to catch a great weak where it hit 80 between Indian Bar and Summerland, but most nights were in the mid to low 40's. For most a 30* bag should be plenty, especially with extra layers. If she sleeps on her back and steadily, a hooded sleeping bag may be the way to go.

FYI, walk up permits (free) are pretty darn easy to come by on the Wonderland, consequently if you don't get the permit through the lottery. If you're flexible on where you start and the camps you stay at, I would highly recommend it. I've been told by rangers the only walk up groups they can't accommodate either need a group site, or simply aren't willing to be flexible. If it doesn't work out, you also have Glacier Peak, Alpine Lakes, Goat Rocks, ect within a couple hours drive.

Betsy Frazier

@dustydeva

Locale: Columbia River Gorge

I live in the Northwest (Oregon specifically), have backpacked all over Oregon and Washington section hiking the PCT, and have found that a 15 degree bag works great (for me) for three season backpacking in our area. I also use an Exped Synmat UL 7 (although I just purchased an Exped Downmat UL 7 for shoulder season use). I haven't used a ZPacks 30 degree bag, per se, but have found that I prefer a warmer bag.

Anthony Weston
    BPL Member

@anthonyweston

Locale: Southern CA

I would go with the zpacks 20 degree, it only weighs a few oz more and if your wife isn't used to backpacking then you don't want her to have a bad experience and sleep cold one night. If it's warm out you can unzip it and use as a quilt.

Also the zpacks bags in my experience do not have as warm a footbox as say the FF Vireo so a good investments is $9 fleece socks just to wear at night in the zpacks bag.

And E
    Spectator

@lunchandynner

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Get a warmer bag, the 20° just to be safe. My fiance is a very cold bodied person, and she wasn't happy in her 30° bag, so she got a 15° Marmot women's Helium, and she has been a very happy camper since.

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

women require a bag that is 10F warmer than men generally …

for the various reasons why go here …

http://www.mammut.ch/images/Mammut_Sleep_well_pt1_E.pdf

;)

AT Hiker

@nooga

Locale: East TN

If she is a side sleeper, I recommend getting the wide.

Jennifer Mitol
    Spectator

@jenmitol

Locale: In my dreams....

I also prefer a warmer bag. When men say take a 30*, to me that means 15-20*. So go warm and wide. Not much weight penalty but it makes a huge different in comfort.

Turley
    BPL Member

@turley

Locale: So Cal

+1 To Going Warmer

Personally, I'd suggest having her use the WM Ultralite as you already have it. Though not nearly as light as the ZPacks, it is much warmer and overall is not only one of the lightest, but one of the best 20F bags on the market. Better error on the side of being too warm vs cold……as the old saying goes: Happy Wife, Happy Life :-)
    As you know, weather in the PNW can change suddenly. In late June six to seven years ago, we took a trip to Upper Royal Basin in the Olympics and the day time temperatures were in the mid-high sixties with night time lows at the ranger station forcast to be in the 40s……but we woke up to a very heavy frost. In our 3 person group (2 male, 1 female), all using high end 30F bags, the only one who didn't sleep well because of cold was our beloved female friend.

Stephen Barber
    BPL Member

@grampa

Locale: SoCal

FWIW, there's a good review of the ZPacks 20* bag in this month's TrailGroove – link below:

http://www.trailgroove.com/issue13.html?autoflip=75

Edward Jursek
    BPL Member

@nedjursekgmail-com

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I hike mostly in the PNW, primary in the Olympics and North Cascades, and have been snowed on in July and August. Lows in the upper 20's to low 30's above 6000' are not uncommon. I would recommend a bag for a female of 20 degrees, which is what my daughter uses in the PNW. I did the Wonderland Trail last season in mid-September and got snow and low's into the upper 20's at the Sunrise camp site. Later in the season then your planned trip, but that kind of weather can strike in August too.

David Drake
    BPL Member

@daviddrake

Locale: North Idaho

Thanks everyone for the feedback. As some of you said, it seems like my wife using the WM Ultralite we already have will be the simplest (and likely warmest) option. That will put her base weight right at 9#, and with food caching and abundant water, total pack weight never more than about 15-16#.

Of course, I might have to get the ZPacks 30* for myself…

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools