Topic

Has anyone here switched to a quilt and liked it LESS than a regular sleeping bag?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Has anyone here switched to a quilt and liked it LESS than a regular sleeping bag?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 26 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Author
    Lance Stalnaker
    Spectator

@katangi

I love my quilts, however, I do sleep in a hammock with an underquilt, so I get 0 drafts. I also sleep on my back, like a log, and do not toss and turn. I find it great for warm, cold, whatever. I love to be able to unsnap the foot end in summer and use it like an actual quilt. In a hammock if you have a warm underquilt, you can get by with a cooler top quilt in my experience as well.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I've slept out in a quilt in some -1 and 6 degree temps. While it was ok and tolerable, to be honest i think i probably would have preferred a sleeping bag at those temps.

I have some left over M50 fabric and have been thinking of adding a sleeve to my wife's EE 0 degree quilt. Would only add a couple of ounces but would cut down on drafts.

Brad Hawkins

@biathlonman

I've run my EE quilt down to single digits and never had any issues. I've never noticed drafts and you couldn't pay me go back to a sleeping bag. I do keep my old cosmic around for a loaner though. Not worth anything used really so up to you to decide. I've often considered turning mine into a quilt, but have never bothered.

Jennifer Mitol
    Spectator

@jenmitol

Locale: In my dreams....

Sorry…I also drank the kool-aid

I am an athletic rotisserie sleeper as well and I've taken mine into the low teens without issue. I use a wide quilt so I have enough to tuck under me so no worries about drafts.

I might go back for the single digits or below zero stuff, but I find the quilt just so much more comfortable for a tosser and turner and side/stomach sleeper.

Steven McAllister
    BPL Member

@brooklynkayak

Locale: Arizona, US

I don't find quilts drafty. I did the first time I used one in the cold, but quickly figured out how to use them.

I felt a slight draft in the foot box, but that was easily fixed by properly closing the foot box tie.
    I would also get little puffs of cold draft when I turned over in the night, but that was fixed by properly adjusting the straps.

I like the flexibility of quilts. They layer better than sleeping bags and they work better as a top and bottom quilts with a hammock.

I usually wear some kind of hooded top and layers when it's cool or cold out and so a hooded and draft collared sleeping bag is a waste.

I guess there are those that strip down when they sleep and maybe they would be happier in a sleeping bag, but it always seemed like a lot of additional weight that I don't want to carry.

Kyle Meyer
    BPL Member

@kylemeyer

Locale: Portland, OR

I'm kind of amazed nobody has mentioned the benefit of quilts with a water-resistant bivy. You get the best of both worlds—flexible insulation with a built in draft protector, ground cloth, and bug netting. I've been using a 20 degree quilt for three years now and love it. I've used the combination down to single digits in the winter without draft or issue, and in the summer on warm nights without discomfort.

I think most folks that have draft problems with quilts simply didn't get one wide enough.

Viewing 6 posts - 26 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools