Topic

REI Changes Return Policy To One Year Time Limit

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Commerce Gear Deals REI Changes Return Policy To One Year Time Limit

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    Hammock Hanger
    BPL Member

@travelpro

I notice the REI website now states returns are accepted only for one year from date of purchase.
    One year is still a generous timeframe, but a big change from the unlimited no questions asked Lifetime return policy REI has always had until now.

So if you have an REI item that didn't work out sitting in your gear closet, be aware that there is now a one year time limit for returning it.

REI has a 'contact us' phone and email button on their website. You can ask questions, or voice your Member's opinion to Management about this new return policy.

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

Old News, and not quite complete . . .

"If your item has a manufacturing defect in its materials or workmanship, you can return it at any time."

But, yes, the "gear exchange" is Closed.

REI Return Policy

Joshua Abel
    BPL Member

@aberrix

I've never abused this policy, but can see how someone could have. However the piece of mind it offered led to many purchases at REI vs. buying cheaper online. I'd have to say I'm slightly more inclined going forward to save a couple bucks and buy it online vs. in store at REI now, I'm mildly disappointed. (but understand)

edit: buy online at the cheapest retailer*

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Locale: Way up North

I returned some items to REI Saturday that where more than 1 years old and no issues.

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Yes, it's heartbreaking to make a decision,
    take over a year to discover it wasn't the right choice,
    and not be able to get your money back.

Violins please….

Joshua Abel
    BPL Member

@aberrix

there's no need to be rude.

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Yes, it's heartbreaking to make a decision,
    take over a year to discover it wasn't the right choice,
    and not be able to get your money back.

Violins please….

Edited by greg23 on 02

Is this aimed at me Greg?

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Rude? My apologies.

I was trying to be sarcastic.

Edit: Stephen. No. At folks expecting a thoughtless free ride. (timestamp overlap)

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Thats cool Greg, I thought it was an overlap alright :-)

Hammock Hanger
    BPL Member

@travelpro

REI operated on an honor system which worked great for 99.5 % of the Members.

Where this may impact REI sales is people not buying end of season items where it might be the better part of a calendar year before they can try them out for the first time. And buying gifts for birthdays months in advance. Etc.

The 'gear exchange' was never a big problem for REI according to managers I've asked. The very few repeat offenders who tried to use REI as 'money back rentals' just had their memberships quietly cancelled and were banned from the store.

I do love REI. Good to know they will still honor lifetime warranties for defects.

William F

@wkf

Locale: PNW

Has anyone had problems since the policy changed for "legit" return attempts? I would think that if you gave them enough attitude that REI would fold under the pressure more often than not… but I'd be curious to hear if anyone has experienced otherwise.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

"I would think that if you gave them enough attitude that REI would fold under the pressure more often than not"

Why would you want to do that?

–B.G.–

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

I had no problems returning 270$ of gear on Saturday that was more than a year old, they offered to put it back on my card or give me store credit (which I took) and we proceeded to spend 400$ on top of the credit as my wife likes the clothes in the store.

Anonymous
    Inactive

"I had no problems returning 270$ of gear on Saturday that was more than a year old, they offered to put it back on my card or give me store credit"

One possible explanation is that the stuff you returned was purchased before they changed their return policy and they "grandfathered you in". They did that for me a few months ago.

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

Hit the flagship store and Feathered Friends last weekend. It was fun to drool over the bikes, split board, and some of the other toys but there wasn't much that I needed. Three hour drive and all I walked away with was a new rite in the rain notebook and a few other nicknacks. I guess the good news is that my kit is pretty dialed in and had some time to visit with some friends.

I'm glad they changed their return policy. It's pretty sad to see some of the items on garage sale day, especially the tables of shoes worn to the midsole.

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

REI still covers defective items past one year. I was there today and saw a jacket returned because the buyer didn't like the color. I once saw a down vest returned because it wasn't waterproof.

I once saw a 17 year old pair of boots returned because they didn't fit. There were items worn to the core and returned because they weren't warm enough or didn't fit, or the owner ripped it. That is what killed the goose.

Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA

As long as REI will allow me to return defective items, they will still have my bussiness.
    It would suck to have snowshoes that you only used twice a year fail on you after a couple of years and be unable to return them.

William F

@wkf

Locale: PNW

Bob, I wouldn't. If I was really convinced that a product was defective for example, I could imagine getting upset if they were telling me they wouldn't refund it. I've never run into this situation with REI though, with other vendors yes.

Like Justin said, as long as REI continues to accept refunds for defective stuff I'm cool with that. I'm going to buy some BD poles there next month with a dividend, gift card, and 20% coupon. I don't plan on returning them after I've beaten them to death either ;)

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

"I could imagine getting upset if they were telling me they wouldn't refund it."

Life is too short to keep worrying about the hypotheticals.

–B.G.–

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

Is REI now selling a lot of defective gear?

Over the decades I have purchased my share of gear at REI and only had one defective item — a bad grommet in a nylon tarp, which I was able to replace myself in a couple of minutes.

I have returned some clothing given to me as gifts, which was the wrong size. But I didn't wait years to return them, I returned them soon after receiving them.

I don't see the problem with the current return policy. It seems more than fair to all rational patrons.

Maris L
    BPL Member

@ablaut

I received two defective items within months a couple of years ago. One was a Marmot tent that had hundreds of little holes in the bug netting throughout the whole tent. Besides that detail it did not look used. The other was a North Face backpack that had almost all of its straps and buckles sewn on backwards. Functionally it still worked (with some annoyance), but it was supposed to be a gift and I wasn't comfortable gifting it that way. Both were ordered online so I wasn't able to check them out beforehand.

I wasn't in the country at the moment so I wasn't able to look at them and exchange them for a while. I didn't wait even close to a year, though. Returning them in the store wasn't difficult, but it also left a bad taste in my mouth because I could tell the cashiers weren't pleased about the returns. Both were unused. For the backpack, the manager said she "didn't really want to give me a refund" but offered me store credit. What, she just didn't "feel like it"? I didn't want to argue and just took it.

I haven't returned anything else. I think the current policy is more than fair. I don't understand how some really nastily used items are still showing up at the stores, though. I haven't noticed a functional change in the returns they accept and put out for a marked down price.

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

ML,
    You are one tolerant customer.

Maybe pick up a bit of "attitude" for that particular store. Because that Isn't the norm for REI. If you had sent your post to Seattle I think the fecal dispersion system would have been set in motion, and you would have had a new tent and pack. Period.

I'm sure an occasional employee has a bad day. But a Manager? Remind me not to shop in Chicago.

Maris L
    BPL Member

@ablaut

I wouldn't say it's the norm for this Chicago store, either. I definitely don't want to tinge the location's rep with a rude experience. The employees are generally excellent, friendly and helpful, and politely don't bug you when you'd rather be left to look around on your own. I get the feeling that the front counter has been frustrated with returns more the past few years, so I just avoid this one cashier. Otherwise, no complaints since then. Seems they've cycled in more incredibly positive and helpful employees, too.

Anonymous
    Inactive

"Otherwise, no complaints since then. Seems they've cycled in more incredibly positive and helpful employees, too."

I've been dealing with the REI Flagship Store up here in Seattle for nearly 29 year, and know a couple of HQ employees. REI is currently locked in an existential struggle with Internet retailers, especially Amazon, and knows it can ill afford to alienate any customer. Based on that reality and your comment above, I'd say you weren't the only customer to receive substandard treatment, that one or more of them did write to HQ, and that the fecal dispersion system was activated, exactly as Greg said, in a very tightly focused pattern. Hence the newly hired incredibly positive, helpful employees. If I were in Chicago, just out of curiosity I'd check the local Starbucks to see if the former manager was pulling shots. ;0)

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

"If I were in Chicago, just out of curiosity I'd check the local Starbucks to see if the former manager was pulling shots."

I wouldn't be surprised if that former manager was now seeking a position as an assistant bagger at the grocery store.

–B.G.–

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 30 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools