Topic

35 – 45 mile Georgia / North Carolina Loops

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning 35 – 45 mile Georgia / North Carolina Loops

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Matthew Helmuth
    BPL Member

@matthewhelmuth

Locale: Cascade Siskiyou National Monument

I've an oddly specific set of criteria I'm trying to meet.
    My girlfriend and I are heading out in late February for a five day trip. (Specific dates are the 22nd-27th)
    I've done the Georgia loop in the past and loved it, but she's in the family way so we want to take it easy.
    I poached a couple of routes in the Smokies from another thread, but I think that might be a tad cold in late February.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

Matthew

Ryan Smith
    BPL Member

@violentgreen

Locale: East TN

In late February, most areas with elevation in the Southern Appalachians are going to be fairly cold. We did a loop last year in early March and the lows were 20-25F. If that temp range is OK, there are many loops in the 35-45mi range.

A couple off the top of my head in NC –

Big Creek ranger station up to the AT and Mt Cammerer fire tower, stay at the Cosby Knob Shelter. Then, down the AT to the Balsam Mtn Trail and over to Laurel Gap Shelter on the BMT. Up to Mt Sterling fire tower and down the Baxter Creek Trail back to your car. Great views, two fire towers and big trees. 37miles

Pisgah Loop – Turkey Pen Gap along the S. Mills River and up to the Pink Beds, camping near the junction with the Mountains to Sea Trail. Up to the top of Mt Pisgah near the Pisgah Inn and stay the 2nd night near Sassafras Gap. 3rd day walk back to Turkey Pen Gap. Great mountain views, swinging bridge and river views. 34miles

Ryan

David Maxwell
    BPL Member

@davidmaxwell

Locale: eastern, tn

There is a couple of good loop options at Standing Indian.

Matthew Helmuth
    BPL Member

@matthewhelmuth

Locale: Cascade Siskiyou National Monument

We hiked in Pisgah National Forest: we encountered water too high for our group to cross (one pregnant woman and two dogs) on the South Mills trail on day one and decided to base camp and day hike.
    It was an excellent area for that exact sort of trip and I guess the Pisgah loop would have been a blast, too.
    Thanks for the suggestion!

Matthew

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools