Topic

The M in MYOG can be Make or Modify ;-)

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear The M in MYOG can be Make or Modify ;-)

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    John Donewar
    BPL Member

@newton

Locale: Southeastern Texas

In another thread I chronicled my transition through a succession of shelter choices until I ended up at my current project/shelter of choice,the hammock.

Hammock + Tarp

The hammock is a Grand Trunk Single parachute nylon hammock. This hammock weighs according to the manufacturer at or about 16 ounces.

It comes with an attached stuff sack, heavy steel carabiners and strong but heavy suspension lines/ropes. I replaced the suspension lines with 7/64" amsteel whoopie slings, endless loops and C.A.M.P. USA Nano 23 carabiners.

Endless loops + biners

My adjustable ridgeline is made from some of Lawson's Ironwire and has a locked brummel loop on one end and is made adjustable by making a "whoopie sling" adjustable length loop on the other end.

Adjustable ridgeline

I removed the attached stuff sack and made a new double ended silnylon stuff sack form some 1.1 silnylon fabric that I had in the project room.

Double ended stuff sack

My tarp is an asym design made from the plans and material that I got from DIY Gear Supply. It is seam sealed with Permatex Flowable Windshied Sealant and is ready to go.

Seam sealed end of tarp

The D ring in the picture is made from some stainless steel skewers that I picked up in a four pack in the dollar aisle at a local grocery store. I bent the skewers around a 3/4" wooden dowel into a U shape and then using pliers formed the 90 degree bend "square ends". I cut them to length in the center, smoothed off the ends and installed them on the webbing loops.

The ridgeline for the tarp is Darice Cord (it's a brand name) from Michaels. The sleeve tyupe label describes it as plastic canvas?!?!?!? For the record it acts and looks like nylon or polyester. ;-)

There is a lightweight carabiner on each end of the ridgeline and its design makes it easily adjustable for centering over the hammock.

I used 1/2" cpvc pipe in 3 inch lengths to make two toggles that I use on the webbing end of the suspension.

Toggle + webbing

The tree straps are made from 1" polyester webbing obtained from DIY Gear Supply.

The side tie outs on the tarp are made from Triptease and 1/8" shockcord self tensioners.

Self tensioning Triptease tieouts

I am currently working on a MYOG double layer hammock for use in the colder weather. When I'm finished I'll be able to insert a CCF pad between the layers to insulate my "bottom". ;-)

There is also some more amsteel and a pair of whoopie hooks on the way to my front door for the suspension on this second hammock.

Party On,

Newton ;-)

J B

@swe_jb

sounds like you are making something like this ?
    Green hornet

I'm also a believer in hammocks, the most difficult part is to find a durable separate mosquito net. I would like something like this but larger
    mosquito net

/JB

check this out tree boat

John Donewar
    BPL Member

@newton

JB,

What I am making is two of the DIY Gear Supply designs on Scott's website. It's nothing quite so elaborate as either of your examples.

Here is what I have planned.

http://diygearsupply.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/DIYGS-DoubleLayer-Hammock-lowres.jpg

I'll be using a CCF pad between the layers of the hammock for insulation.

and

http://diygearsupply.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/DIYGS-BugNetCocoon-lowres.jpg

I was originally thinking about calling this thread My Shelter of Many Colors or Newton's Amazing Technicolor Shelter. ;-)

My reason for these unused but descriptive names is that I chose all of the components of this shelter system based solely on lowest price. Form follows function after all.

The hammock is crimson and khaki in color. The tarp is royal blue. The whoopies and endless loops are black. The tarp ridge-line is white and its tie-outs are gold Triptease with black shock cord. The Nano 23 biners are orange.

The double layer hammock under construction is Spanish Gold and its suspension lines will be blue 7/64" Amsteel Blue.

Another name comes to mind for this shelter system, The Fruit Salad Shelter.

My first hammock was the Hennesy Asym Explorer pictured in the other thread mentioned above.

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=87059&skip_to_post=741994#741994

I discovered that I disliked the original velcro bottom entry and sold it on Gear Swap.

I plan to use the single layer hammock with the bug net in warmer weather. In colder temperatures when bugs are not an issue the double layer hammock and the CCF pad will come along for the ride. I use a red and black top quilt from Tim at Enlightened Equipment.

Party On,

Newton ;-)

Sam Farrington
    BPL Member

@scfhome

Locale: Chocorua NH, USA

John,
    Looks like you have got the bug again.
    Oh well ….

John Donewar
    BPL Member

@newton

Hi Sam,

Yes I have been "bitten" again. LOL

MYOG Bug

"Oh well …."

Yes all is well. I'll soon be field testing my new shelter with two of my good friends and brothers.

Good to hear from you!

Party On,

Newton ;-)

John Donewar
    BPL Member

@newton

Always be prepared!

Weather being what it is can be unpredictable, hot or cold and / or wet. Bugs being what they are can be beautiful butterflies or biting and stinging pains in the derriere.

I hardly ever use that word and am utterly amazed that I typed and spelled it correctly the first time. LOL

In an effort to go even lighter and avoid CBS (cold but syndrome) I built a new lighter double layer hammock. It has openings between the layers on opposite diagonal corners to allow the insertion of a CCF sleeping pad.

Double layer hammock with pad

I used Spanish Gold 2nds of 1.1 uncoated ripstop nylon fabric for the body of the hammock. The CCF is one of Lawson's 1/2" Insulite pads cut to size.

The insertion of the pad keeps the hammock in an open and inviting shape. ;-)

Originally my idea was to keep this shelter system modular. The Grand Trunk hammock was to be used with the addition of a bug net for summer hiking. My new MYOG double layer hammock + pad was to be designated for winter use.

In the interest of time and expediency after constructing the bug net pictures were taken using the 2 layer hammock as a bug net "model". ;-)

Fully enclosed hammock in a bug net

There is a double slider zipper in the center for ease of entry and exit. The fabric was picked up at Walmart in the drapery aisle. It is 100% polyester black "sheer" panels. Two panels of 59" x 84" at a cost of roughly $10.00 were used to build my bug net using a slightly modified pattern from DIY Gear Supply.

The ends are closed by a simple string tie method on the endless loops of the hammock suspension.

End closure

Other small mods were made to the hammock suspension and tarp tie outs in the interest of going lighter.

Whoopie hooks

Whoopie hooks from Dutchware were substituted for the CAMP Nano 23 'biners.

Tarp tensioner

The shockcorded tarp tensioners were reduced from two parallel runs of 1/8" shockcord to a single piece on each side. Each tie out line ends with a loop formed by tying a taut line hitch for adjust-ability.

I also replaced the nylon tarp ridgeline with some dynaglide because I was concerned that the uncoated nylon might "catch" and "pull" on the tree bark during use.

So now I am protected from the bugs while on the trail but I have yet to find anything that can protect me from the MYOG Bug! ;-)

Party On,

Newton ;-)

Editttud fur speeling eroar. LOL
    Nice catch Bob. ;-)

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

"I used Spanish Gold 2nds of 1.1 uncosted ripstop nylon fabric"

I guess that means that it was free.

–B.G.–

John Donewar
    BPL Member

@newton

Bob,

I have not yet begun to spell!

Party On,

Newton ;-)

;-)” height=”56″ src=”https://dpcr19kltm61a.cloudfront.net/backpackinglight/user_uploads/1393957716_100140.gif” width=”91″ />

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools