Topic

2014 G.G. Mariposa.

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
PostedFeb 8, 2014 at 8:28 am

Hey BPL. I wanted to share my comments and curiousities about my new pack.

I am coming from a gregory z55 and an Osprey Atmos 65 (two pretty heavy packs!). This is my first ultralight pack.

Gossamer gear was able to get this pack to me very quickly. I had considered an Osprey Exos 58 because I love having a dry back to make a transition into barebone lightweight packs. G.G won out as the Exos is not available until mid-feb

First, the sizing may have changed a little. I have heard that GG packs run long, as in you may need a smaller size. I did not find this to be the case. A large size fits me great. I am 5'10 with long legs and a shortish torso. I use a medium pack normally.

There is a clip on the loose end of each of the shoulder straps . Not the sternum strap. I have no idea what these are for ( I emailed GG waiting to hear back).Mariposa sternum strap and mystery strap. Here I have the strap buckled as a "belly strap". It barely fits my 150lb self with a TShirt on those, there must be more to it.

Loaded with 25lbs this pack felt great. Probably better than my other heavier packs. Good weight transfer. The exterior pockets are awesome shape and size. A quick 10 miles with 25lbs breaking track through fresh knee deep + snow drifts was a joy. A longer test is definately on the way.

This pack did not get the compression strap that the gorilla got. The only compression comes in the form of shockcord lacing. The lacing and 2 linelocks are shipped with the pack and I was left to my own to figure out how the manufacturer intended. I came a bit short with the shock cord after trying to put it through the sewn on loops.shock cord lacing. Not sure.. I probably don't need the compression.The pockets are awesome.

John Mc BPL Member
PostedFeb 8, 2014 at 9:37 am

I just got the same pack and I'm wondering the same thing. I looked around the pack trying to determine what the snaps connect too….no luck.

I also own an Exos 34, 46, and 58. I'm looking forward to trying the Mariposa to compare.

PostedFeb 8, 2014 at 10:03 am

I took those buckles off my Mariposa, not sure what they are for. I also have the gorilla and have not removed yet. I use the shock cord on the top fold over pocket to attach my GG thinlite pad when/if I bring it or I use it to dry wet clothes, tarp, poncho, etc.

Part of the fun is tinkering with it and customizing it for your needs, but I will be interested to see what GG says it is for. I love the GG packs, I have the two mentioned, the G4 and minimalist, they fit my back and distribute my load perfectly. The Mariposa is my go to pack for most occasions.

PostedFeb 8, 2014 at 11:18 am

In that video the reviewer speculates that the clips are for keeping the loose ends out of the way. I would think that a company like gossamer gear would not ad weight unless it is for a more functional purpose.

My guess at this point is that it is intended for use as a hip belt in the case that one opted to use the pack without the padded belt. In this case they are on an ultralight hiker.

Chad B BPL Member
PostedFeb 8, 2014 at 12:10 pm

"My guess at this point is that it is intended for use as a hip belt in the case that one opted to use the pack without the padded belt. In this case they are on an ultralight hiker."

As far as I know, you are correct. It's meant as an additional stabilizing point, especially when not using the hip belt. I get the concept which they are going for, but in my opinion it is quite useless and I have removed them from all my GG packs.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
Loading...