Topic

3-Season cuben shelter tarp w/inner net vs tent

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) 3-Season cuben shelter tarp w/inner net vs tent

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    HkNewman
    BPL Member

@hknewman

Locale: The West is (still) the Best

Want to pull the trigger on a cuben shelter to bring my base weight down but hesitating over a tarp with option inner net for bugs vs. an "all in one" solution such as a Solomid or Skyscape. A few reasons I'm leaning towards a tarp is being able to leave the inner net behind, ease of storing/drying the fly and any inner separately, and a bit easier initial set up (never liked setting up sil tents similar to the current Solomid). Against, a tent has a more "convenient" set up and built in protection.

Any other factors to consider?

For snowy trips, I'm keeping my TT Moment (SW) currently, … might even go with one of their DW models .. but think I can save some weight as summer approaches.

dirtbag
    BPL Member

@dirtbaghiker

MLD Patrol Shelter. I use a katabatic Bristlecone bivy in cooler/cold months and in warmer/buggy months I use a bear paw Wilderness Bug Bivy. I bring the MLD Patrol shelter along in case of rain/snow and also if I need to get a bit out of the sun. I can use just the bivy or just the patrol Shelter or both..depending on the situation. It all packs down to "nill" and weighs about a pound/less then a pound, depending on the bivy I am useing. Simple to set up/breakdown and it works!!

K C
    BPL Member

@kalebc

Locale: South West

I am currently using a Yama Mountain Gear bug shelter 2 with a Zpacks 10×8 tarp when I want a huge palace or with another person, when solo I take a Zpacks hexamid plus with a Hexanet. Two very versatile systems IMHO.

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

I'm a big fan of the DuoMid + solo inner. Unlike the SoloMid, it gives you the vestibule space for more comfortable shoulder season and winter trips (ie. no rain falling in the door onto your bed, lots of room to spread out wet gear etc). It's a pretty incredible combo for ~20oz. Outside of bug season I leave the inner behind and grab a groundsheet.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools