Topic

PCT long distance permit application is up

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
PostedFeb 26, 2014 at 6:55 am

Thanks for the reminder! I got my permit sent out. Looking at an early start for April fool's day! I will see you out there. Good luck!

Its a little deceptive on the webpage/application, but as far as I know PCT thru hikers do not need a Whitney permit to hike Whitney as long as: #1 They do not exit through Whitney Portal ( to resupply) #2 They return to the PCT to camp.

JMT hikers also do not need a Whitney permit.

I am a PCTA and ALDA west member and pay my way all over the place, so I don't feel the need to get any unneccesary permits.

Please feel free to correct me is you know different or things have changed.
Good luck have fun out there!

Art … BPL Member
PostedFeb 26, 2014 at 7:10 am

" JMT hikers also do not need a Whitney permit. "

I don't understand this statement.
its my understanding that SOBO JMTers do need and exit permit for Whitney.
and NOBO JMTers do need and actual Whitney Permit.
am I wrong ?

PostedFeb 26, 2014 at 10:32 am

I am sure this is talked about and even argued about in another thread.
I hiked the JMT sobo in 2011 on a walkin permit from the Wilderness office in Yosemite.
You access Whitney from the west just like PCT hikers and are on trail. I was stopped in the Whitney zone and got my permit checked and got checked for wagbag. I had also had my permit checked in King's Canyon.
I imagine NoBo JMT hikers would need a permit because they enter through Whitney portal, I may have forgotten that part.
I believe I only paid entry to Yosemite when I hiked the JMT and no permit fees.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
Loading...