Check out this kid carrier pack idea. On Amazon.com for not too much. Mine is on the way! Thought I'd share!
http://www.blessthisstuff.com/stuff/living/misc-living/piggyback-rider/
Topic
Become a member to post in the forums.
Check out this kid carrier pack idea. On Amazon.com for not too much. Mine is on the way! Thought I'd share!
http://www.blessthisstuff.com/stuff/living/misc-living/piggyback-rider/
60 pounds!
I guess my (50 lb) eight year old has an "out" now, in case she ever get's tired on our long walks. But is it my understanding that the metal "bar" rests directly right up against the back? I don't think it would take much time before I'd want to rest on one of those things from carrying one.
Matt
They show them being used on trails, but the first thing that popped into my head was "Parades" and how it would let a kid get a better view of a parade, sporting event, animals at the zoo, etc.
>"But is it my understanding that the metal "bar" rests directly right up against the back?"
Yeah, I saw that. I'd add a lot of padding to that bar, maybe making a wider support where it rests on the adult's back.
What they show seems like it would pack down pretty small, but if that's not needed, why not just MYOG this up from an external pack frame? Take the pack bag off and add a step on each side. You'd want hand grips forward on the straps (as they show), and the kid to have firm instructions to NOT lean back.
Well, in watching the video on Amazon, it’s pretty obvious that the kid interferes with the dad’s walking. The bar appears to be hitting the man’s legs below his butt. And how does one attach the “safety” harness to the carrier if alone with the child? The child has to do it. Good luck with that with a young child. And what happens if the child’s feet slip off the bar? You’ve got a 50 lbs weight on your back that’s suddenly going to drop a foot and then be stopped by… your back. Hope you’re not crossing a creek or traversing a difficult spot on a trail. It might be nice for short distances at the park, but it’s not a workable aid for hiking IMO.
And their advertising says:
“The Piggyback Rider is an enjoyable, effortless way to carry a child (2.5+ years / up to 60lbs) on your back”
60 lbs? Effortless? Um, I don’t think so.
Interesting idea, maybe even fun for a day at the beach, but not for hiking.
Addendum:
Although if there were some MYOG “stirrups” or something where the kids’ feet attached… maybe then.
But the idea that a 50 lbs kid would be on my back and might slip off the bar only to be stopped by something attached to my shoulders… not good.
Now that I think about it, how about a hauling frame?
https://www.google.com/search?q=hunting+hauling+frame&espv=210&es_sm=93&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=7pTyUo24EofKsQTU3YLACA&ved=0CAgQ_AUoAg&biw=1041&bih=594
of course it wouldn't be a portable as the Piggyback.
I recently got back from living abroad in Bogotá, Colombia for the past 3 years and lot's of native people (I guess I only saw women doing this) carry their babies to maybe 3 year olds in a shawl on their back. Never heard of or saw a baby fall from one and I've seen thousands of people doing it this way, and I imagine their people have been doing it for a very long time.

Become a member to post in the forums.