Topic

any reason to wear gaiters with goretex socks?

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
Justin Baker BPL Member
PostedFeb 4, 2014 at 2:36 pm

I'm going to be hiking in the snow this weekend wearing wool socks and goretex socks inside low top non waterproof shoes. Is there any reason to wear gaiters?

Obviously my feet aren't going to get wet from snow getting in my shoes, but I figure that snow in my shoes will conduct some of the heat away and make my feet colder…. am I right in this?

Will keeping snow out of my shoes even with goretex socks help to keep my feet warmer?

PostedFeb 4, 2014 at 2:46 pm

"Will keeping snow out of my shoes even with goretex socks help to keep my feet warmer?"

I would assume so, but gaiters can also help keep snow from gathering on top of your shoe/freezing to your shoelaces. This helps keep your feet warmer as well.

PostedFeb 4, 2014 at 3:08 pm

Yeah. The gaiters keep your shoes from getting packed with snow which keeps your feet warmer. Otherwise every time you pick your foot up out of a posthole you pack around your ankles with a new batch of cold snow. Also keeps it from going up your pant leg.

Jerry Adams BPL Member
PostedFeb 4, 2014 at 3:17 pm

Yes – wear gaiters

Otherwise you're defeating the purpose of the goretex socks, which is to keep the socks dry so they'll be warmer

If the socks get wet from snow, then you may as well regular socks

I always wear gaiters – keeps rocks and dirt out even if there's no snow or rain

Justin Baker BPL Member
PostedFeb 4, 2014 at 3:35 pm

Thanks guys, I'm using the mountain hardware scree gaiters (with an underfoot strap) which aren't waterproof but should keep the cold snow out. I wear midweight tights in cold weather so I won't need to worry about snow up my pants.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
Loading...