Topic

Quilts

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    Jeremy Rardin
    Spectator

@jearbear

Locale: Cumberland Trail

Let's get some discussion going on quilts. I have been using a Hammock Gear Burrow 20. M50 outer, 10d inside, button snap closure, around 11 oz 900 fill, weighs 528 grams or 18.6 oz.

I have used it in the 20s (ground sleeping) and liked it, I like the button snap closure feature for the versatility, especially for 3 season. The only thing I would change would be adding straps for a sleeping pad.

I am considering a new quilt for 40F weather, considering my options. I would like it to be weigh less than 14 oz and cost less than $250, which gives some good options. I am thinking either the HammockGear burrow 40 or Enlightened.

What are your thoughts on quilts you have used? Material difference? Features. I could go with either and be satisfied, but getting the most out of my money and weight is important since I have never used any other quilts aside from HammockGear.

Jay Johnson

@itsjaywhatsupgmail-com

I can't say enough good things about Enlightened Equipment, I have a 20 degree RevX and love it. If I'm pushing the limits of the bag, I'll pull the bottom drawstring closed and snap the footbox shut, use the straps to hold the quilt on the pad, then use the other snaps along with the drawcord near the neck to turn it pretty much into a cocoon of awesomeness. I have a regular width quilt and with the methods listed above, I do not get drafts unless I want them. No matter how much I move, the quilt stays put and doesn't let in any unwanted cold air.

The RevX uses different materials than the regular Revelation quilts. The RevX feels awesome against any exposed skin so I can only imagine the regular Revelation quilts will feel even nicer. If going with 40 degrees, the 750Fill quilts will get you close to your 14oz limit and around $200. Go with the 800 fill if you want to go a little lighter and spend a little more. Depending on how tall you are, it might be easier/cheaper to get to your 14oz weight limit.

My only problem with my current quilt is that I run hot and get too warm. If I can't find a method of sticking a foot or arm out to regulate my body temperature a little better, my next quilt will be either a 40 or 50 degree from EE.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

+1 for Enlightened Equipment. My favorite overbuilt, bar none. Tim's new Enigma quilts are fabulous, well made, very light, and quite comfortable. I'd highly recommend one.

Jeremy Rardin
    Spectator

@jearbear

For overheating I have to give a +1 to hammock gear since it can be opened all the way up and used as a blanket. But I do have a problem with drafts if I am restless, sometimes I move around in my sleep which causes problems with drafts since there are not pad straps.

Do you know what material your inner is made of?

Jay Johnson

@itsjaywhatsupgmail-com

I am pretty sure the RevX has "cosmetic blemished" 30D ripstop nylon on both the outside and inside. The regular Revelation quilts come in 10D or 20D I think, depending on what you want – I imagine they feel even better than the 30D on the RevX. Unfortunately I don't think RevX's are sold anymore due to the cost of 850Fill Down. You might be able to find some on gear swap or just go with the 700 or 800 fill Revelation. If you have the extra cash you could always get the 850 Downtek, but that would start to push you out of your price limit I think.

The Enlightened Equipment quilts can also be fully opened up like a blanket. I am just a REALLY hot sleeper. My arms seem to be the only part of me that easily get cold, but my arm pits sweat if my torso starts to get too hot – it's a really weird combination.

I also forgot to mention in my last post, roughly the bottom 1/3rd of the Revelation quilt has a zipper which also helps when getting down to colder temps. I'm sure katabatic, zpacks, and other companies make great quilts… but I'll never know because for the money, enlightened equipment is easily worth the price.

As for the Enlightened Equipment Enigma, I'm sure its a great quilt, but I don't think you can open it up fully like a blanket because of the permanent sewn footbox. I could be wrong, but keep that in mind if you are looking at that quilt.

Miner
    BPL Member

@miner

Locale: SoCAL

I've actually been looking at the new EE Engima quilt. I thinking of replacing my 1st generation 20F Golite quilt from 2008. Its the first time I've seen a better quilt that actually weighs less. The fact that the bottom doesn't open up is of no concern for me since I'm already use to that. When things get too hot for my existing quilt I just wear all my clothes and use my bivy sack as a lightweight sleeping bag or look for a windy camp site to add some wind chill. Everybody's sleep system needs are different.

Jeremy Rardin
    Spectator

@jearbear

Jay- I was thinking about the JacksRBetter Sierra Stealth a moment ago: Opens all the way up, is easily used as one's insulation (with the head hole), and has pad retention strap loops. The only problem is the weight: 17.5 oz… But I noticed he uses 30D and 800 fill.

The 30 d is 1.1 oz per sq/yd, if I could have him use Argon, which is .67 oz per sq/yd. and 900 fill, I could save 2.6 oz, and if I used 900 fill I could save 1 oz. That would bring me right around 14 oz. Granted, thats 2.4 heavier than Hammock gear, around the same weight as the EE quilt, but I can wear it as insulation on clear sky days. Days that are not clear sky, I won't be sitting around camp anyway and would probably want synthetic puffy (atleast until i get the experience keeping it dry). All in all it would provide everything I need functionality, and save weight on a down jacket.

But I digress..JRB does not do custom orders :/

Sean- Hammock Gear quilts can be sewn closes as well, the average weight is around 17 oz which is crazy light.

Patrick Baker
    BPL Member

@f1prb22

I read somewhere recently the HG will install pad loops if you request it.

Jeremy Rardin
    Spectator

@jearbear

It is interesting you would say that, I was considering calling them tomorrow and finding out if that would be an option. Thanks!

Glenn S

@glenn64

Locale: Snowhere, MN

Just ordered my EE 30 degree Enigma. Tim got in some new head/foot material and the black 10D extra DWR treated kinda did it for me with only a .25 ounce weight penalty. Reg length and wide width still under a pound. Once the snow melts, I'll post back to see how it works.

Jeff Sims
    BPL Member

@jeffreytsims

Locale: So. Cal

I had both a 30 and a 10 degree Rev with 3 extra ounces of down in the 10 for winter and could not be happier, until the Enigma came out. I now have a xL reg width 30 degree 850 DT that inspired me to shift my winter quilt as well. It is not here yet but pretty excited 0 degree Enigma with 950 fill and cuben baffles Tim is awesome to work with, and if you don't see exactly what you are looking for on his site, send him an email he will do his best to ensure that you are a happy camper

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Locale: Way up North

3 quilts for me.

50F Prodigy

30F Prodigy

10F Revelation.

The 50F is more so for use as a Winter overquilt with my Western Mountaineering Alpinelite or Puma.

Christopher Gilmore
    BPL Member

@chrisjgilmore

Locale: Eureka

So not to high jack his thread but I'm considering these and I'm interested in some feedback.

I'm 5'9" 196 lbs and fairly fit. A warm sleeper and have a good pad for ground insulation.

ZPacksâ„¢ 40 900 Fill Power Down Sleeping Bags 11.4 oz
    HG Burrow 40° regular 11.6oz
    Nunatek Arc Edge 40 regular 12oz
    Katabatic Chisos 40 900fl 14.6oz
    Enlightened Enigma 850DT reg/reg 12.5oz

Any thoughts on one over the other? I currently have the golite 15 degree quilt.

Thanks
    CG

Jeremy Rardin
    Spectator

@jearbear

Are there any features you are partial to? I have decided to go with Hammock Gear for myself. 850 fill Argon Fabric, snap closure, add on pad retention loops. Price/Weight best ration by far. I have a HG Burrow 20 and am very satisfied. For a 40F quilt I think the option to open the foot box would be appreciated

Christopher Gilmore
    BPL Member

@chrisjgilmore

My current unit has a fixed foot box and its nice so i think that would still be a good thing but im open to options and thoughts on the matter. Beyond that I just want a good quality quilt that has the minimal weight to warmth ratio.

Jeremy Rardin
    Spectator

@jearbear

Christopher +1

For a 20 F its less important to me to have an open foot box because by the time I would want it open I could switch to my 40F. Some people go with 10F 30F 50F bag/quilts but TN hardly ever needs anything below 20F, therefore I hit a better range going 20F 40F, but I dont want to buy a 50F just for those warmer nights…Thus the option of opening the foot box. One could save 2 or 3 ounces by going from HG 40F to 50F, but spend another $150+

With the ability to open the foot box, the range on the plus side is made larger, essentially becoming a nice blanket.

Steven McAllister
    BPL Member

@brooklynkayak

Locale: Arizona, US

I like the way that the EE Revelation series and other quilts come with hanging loops, zipped or open foot box and all the straps you need for different situations.

We've used ours as hammock underquilts, like a sleeping bag and loosely strapped around a pad and three season sleeping bag to create a winter sleep system.

michael levi

@m-l

Locale: W-Never Eat Soggy (W)affles

I had a 10d EE rev 30* and sold it because it did not meet my expectations.

First of all I order a wide, which was a mistake for me a 150 lbs I was cold with the extra space.

Second was the drawstring footbox. I could literally feel the cold air rushing through the hole/ stitching/ compressed down with the footbox assembely. The night was around 40* and I was cold.

I would think the enigma is a lot better, only if it had a full zip.

Switched to a Zpacks 30* and I like the zipper, much better warmth ratio and no drafts. Took it down to like 10* and survived. Nice Pertex GL shell and cuben baffles etc. A little more $$$ but worth it plus it came with a cuben pillow stuff sack.

Christopher Gilmore
    BPL Member

@chrisjgilmore

Well I went with the Zpacks 30 degree bag and it should ship on the 14th.

Douglas Meyer

@storytellertn

I'm a fan of Hammock Gear quilts, and if I am not mistaken, they are the lightest on the market. Currently, Adam at HG has added pad straps to all quilts. I have the 30* quilt (not yet on the website) and it is exactly 16 oz. I have several friends who are enthusiastic for Enlightened Equipment. I know others who have sold their Enlightened Equipment in exchange for HG. For the most part both are great quilts, it comes down to weight and preference.

Douglas Meyer

@storytellertn

I agree.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools