Topic

My Field Trip To ULA Equipment

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) My Field Trip To ULA Equipment

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    David Ure

@familyguy

nm

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

So where is your photo of the Ohm?

Brian Frankle

@bdf37

David failed to mention that his entire family was blind folded, frisked, and thoroughly questioned before being permitted into the ULA Shop…despite our security checks, he still managed to notice the OHM. Those Canadians are tricky!

But…he did not see the panel loader!

Brian

Richard Matthews

@food

Locale: Colorado Rockies

Brian,

That is gentle treatment. I understand that Warmlite makes to strip to the buff. But that might not be related to security.

The names "skunk works" and "mystery ranch" are already in use. Do you have a name for your facility?

kevin davidson

@kdesign

Locale: Mythical State of Jefferson

stay tuned for update.

kevin davidson

@kdesign

I received an anonymous letter from Logan, UT recently. The undisclosed sender wrote a brief description and included a somewhat fuzzy shot (obviously taken with a long lens) of a frontloading pack design being tested at the ULA Area 51 1/2 facility (somewhere in the hinterlands of N. Utah). The following is from the letter and my analysis(in parenthesis).

The pack, (partially covered in what appears to be a spinnaker nylon tarp, supported by trekking poles, to hide from industry spies it's silhouette and full panel opening features) appears to be made of a "new, revolutionary breathable, organic woven material" ( my informant says that it is a co-development of Pertex and ULA, tentatively called Wickertex, woven from sustainibly harvested materials which promises to be easily field repairable with materials at hand).

The most notable departure in what we have come to expect from ULA suspension design is the new Skullcap â„¢ tumpline derived suspension system which does away with waistbelt, sternum strap and shoulder straps to allow for unhindered torso movement and ongoing cranial adjustment. (the obviously woven Skullcap material is unknown at this time but I have heard that Brian Farkle has been investing in Rocky Mtn. Goat futures and there have been ongoing rumours of beardless and obviously shaved Mountain Goats in the Wasatch).

The panel opening is unique in that it is "always open, for ventilation of contents and to improve pack reliability by doing away with the usual failure-prone zipper".

Volume can only be conjectured but I would estimate at upwards of 40L. Weight is still a closely guarded secret.

However, the tentative name for this breakthrough in backpacking design has been leaked, reportedly by Brian, himself at a local taco stand when, after eating one too many Pollo Asado Tacos, he muttered in an apparent Eureka moment, "Ä°Capacidad!" (his Spanish is poor—he should have said, "demasiado"), since modified to "Capacitor" in keeping with his electrically minded line of load carriers.
    spy foto 2

Mitchell Keil

@mitchellkeil

Locale: Deep in the OC

Brian: Did you say Panel Loader? Care to share anything more about this illusive creature? After all you did pick our brains and opinions in several threads concerning our wishlist for a panel loader … so it's only fair that you torture us a bit more with at least a few tidbits to whet our appetites. Hmmm — come on — pretty please?

Adam Rothermich
    BPL Member

@aroth87

Locale: Missouri Ozarks

Capacitor, huh? Not bad, but I'm still wanting a NAND pack. It is quite possible the coolest word in the English language that isn't actually a word. Working with NAND gates always brings a smile to my face.

Adam

kevin davidson

@kdesign

Would wanting it be an operation of alternative denial?

Dave Heiss
    BPL Member

@daveheiss

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Brian,

Thanks for allowing some news to leak out regarding the new OHM. It has been enough to get me interested, for the design sounds like a crossover model that offers light weight and a feature set that is well suited to my UL-wannabe style of backpacking.

I will probably never have a base weight below 15 pounds, unless manufacturers discover ways to incorporate helium into their products, so I find that maximum loads of 30 pounds or so are pretty common for me at the beginning of a trip. Thankfully, in both volume and weight, the OHM won’t mind my lack of discipline.

I’m not a fan of bladders, so the two useable water bottle pockets will be pretty stinking cool, and I also like to keep lunch, my water filter, first aid kit, and a couple other items within easy reach. While most UL/SUL packs have dropped the floating lid pocket I’ve used with other packs in favor of lots of exterior mesh pockets, I’m not sold on their durability and the yard-sale look they create. The OHM’s detachable front pocket is a great solution – much better than no pockets at all.

Kudos to you for avoiding Velcro. It may be great for some things, but for me it has always seemed to get in the way, or it locks onto things I don’t want it to stick to. The OHM’s drawstring closure will help keep my blood pressure down, and the VCS setup will give me easy load compression without the strapitis I have endured with my last couple of packs.

Have I mentioned yet that I really like the projected weight? And having real frame stays that transfer weight to the hipbelt? And that it’s sewn from fabric that I don’t have to baby? And the fact that testimonials abound saying that ULA cares about it’s products and it’s customers?

I may only be kinda, sorta, almost UL, but it sure looks like the OHM will be my next pack.

Brian Strong

@bmstrong

…are packs I might be interested in. Just around the size I'm looking for. I always like looking at new packs but I've got two questions, if anyone can help?

Why can't SUL/UL pack makers build solid color packs? All Foliage Green? OD? Cotote Brown? One simple color, same fabric, all throughout the pack. I just don't like that checkered stuff…

Zippers. None of these packs have zippered tops? I really can't tell from the smallish 360 views but they look like a drawstring closure method?

Brian

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools