Topic

Ti Tent Stakes Work as Pot Supports, Yes?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Ti Tent Stakes Work as Pot Supports, Yes?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Delmar O’Donnell

@bolster

Locale: Between Jacinto & Gorgonio

Just checking to make sure that titanium tent stakes can be used as pot supports? They can take the repeated heat of an alcohol stove flame?

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Heat from an alcohol flame? What heat????
    Yes, they will.

Cheers

Jason G
    BPL Member

@jasong

Locale: iceberg lake

yeeeeep

here's my homemade screen with ti stakes and fosters on trt this summerrtrt

Delmar O’Donnell

@bolster

Jason, that's what I want to make, right there. Thanks for posting.

Happy with that setup, were you?

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

The normal ti hooks (6-8g) work fine, but the really light Ti can fail when used with an alcohol stove. I've tried using the Terra Nova 2g stakes and they get hot, weak and bend.

Delmar O’Donnell

@bolster

Thanks. Then the Vargo shepherds should work, 6 g each.

I was wondering if nail style would work better for this application.

Jason G
    BPL Member

@jasong

Locale: iceberg lake

yep works great. can't beat a sub 2 cook kit..

I think i have some extra ti foil in that same size as mine if you are interested and want to work something out..

michael levi

@m-l

Locale: W-Never Eat Soggy (W)affles

Yep, my whole setup is 3.2 ounces with stakes. Foil from ti goat, and I have used sticks and made a natural fire with this when I had no esbit.stove esbit tistove esbit ti

Jake S

@spags

As long as you don't want to cook and stay dry at the same time.

Or–as long as you don't want to eat while it is raining.

Miner
    BPL Member

@miner

Locale: SoCAL

Many people carry an extra stake or two in case we loose one so might as well get some use out of it to justify the weight. When I hiked the PCT, even with the orange painted ones, it was hard not to loose one somewhere along the way.

Also, some of the stakes on shelters like the hexamid are optional and can be used without the shelter falling down. On my tarp, I can just use the middle side stakes without any issues unless there is a strong wind.

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Yup, they turn pretty colors, but work just fine. The melting point of titanium is 3,034°F (steel melts at 2600-2800°F depending on the alloy)

In that vein, I just picked up a junk bike wheel to scavenge the spokes to use the same way.

Of course if you use your tent stakes as multiple use pot supports you save 13g or so, but your tarp will fall down while you cook, or you can count them as spares, or don't cook in camp— and all that IF you use Ti stakes.

Delmar O’Donnell

@bolster

Dale, do you happen to know the typical temperature of an alcohol stove flame? Does somewhere between 1100 and 1600 F sound about right?

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I found temps of alcohol lab burners as high as 1100C listed on the web, but nothing I would say is good science. It depends on the flame pattern, transfer of heat out to the ends, contact with the pot, etc, etc. I would want to see a reading from a good thermocouple when it was sitting in the flame right next to the stake/pot.

Hikers have been doing the tent stake trick with alcohol stoves for quite a while. As others posted here, you may have issues with the uber light ones. I've used them with Esbit too, which is quite hot.

Keep in mind that the thin parts of 11,000 BTU Ti propane stoves are hanging right out in the the flame without melting. The tiny steel supports on the Zelph stoves survive as well.

Zelph's Stoveworks Starlyte stove

Here is a 3mm 6.4g Ti stake that has been used for a pot support. You can see the colors.

Titanium stake

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

TD.s titanium wood burning stoves come with ti stakes to use as pot supports.
    The CC woodburning stoves are VERY hot due to their gassifier secondary combustion design. Ti stakes handle this heat with no problem.

So, yes, ti stakes are a good choice for this purpose.

michael levi

@m-l

Locale: W-Never Eat Soggy (W)affles

I actually bring 2 extra stakes. I can use then for tent side panel tie outs when it's windy. Multi use.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

You can sharpen one and use it as a toothpick or as a meat skewer for your barbecue.

–B.G.–

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools