Topic

$20 titanium pot/mug

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Commerce Gear Deals $20 titanium pot/mug

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    aaron mount

@amount

Locale: Sierra Foothills
    Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

They have deals on the Brasslite stoves too :)

David Wills

@willspower3

i ordered one. figured its time to step up from the boy scout mess kit aluminum pot.

Frank Perkins

@fperkins

Locale: North East

I just ordered one too. I was hoping to snag a bpl 500, but they're out of stock.

Joshua Mitchell

@jdmitch

Locale: Kansas

Ordered both, I kind of wish I had ordered the 900 pot and one of the stoves as well… but I have to save up more of my gear allowance…

Frank Perkins

@fperkins

Locale: North East

I just got my Brasslite 600ml in the mail. Looks pretty good. I can't wait to try it out. On my scale, the pot came in at 2.3oz or 2.4oz so I'm guessing it's in the middle. The lid was .4 oz.

Brasslite 600ml

Joshua Mitchell

@jdmitch

Mine hasn't shown up yet… I'll email aaron in a few days if it doesn't…

Joshua Mitchell

@jdmitch

quite a nice little pot… the spork fits beautifully inside of it… the locking mechanism on the spork is quite strong, with just a little pressure seating on the locking mechanism, I took enough force that I was flinching before it gave way… if I really pushed the locker I was actually more afraid that my grip would slip and I would poke my eye out with the force I was exerting trying to force the mechanism to come loose and it didn't come loose / collapse.

The pot is bit shorter than I envisioned, but a bit wider too… I'll put up some pics in the next couple of days of it against my SP600… this is a pretty sweet little pot.

Oh, and the handles dont APPEAR to be easily removable… I couldn't pull the tips out at all…

Joshua Mitchell

@jdmitch

Well, I've posted pics the my picasa web album: Brasslite (BL) 600 Mug and Spork

However, I figure I'd post some here and comment…

Here is the BL Spork next to the SP Spork. Almost the exact same size when unfolded. The bowl / splines are very similar.

SP600 w/ Homemade Lid vs BL600 w/ Factory Lid. The BL is slightly shorter and squater.

The diameters are nearly the same…

But not exactly…

BL600 Diameter is just large enough that it doesn't fit in the Caldera for the SP600

Both filled with 500 mL (2 Cups)

Small (110g) fuel canister fits completely inside the BL600, unlike the SP600.

SP Giga-Ti Auto, BP Folding Spork, and a small zip-bag with dropper of Dr Bronner's and a scrubby fit with lots of room in the BL600. There's enough space to contain some small spice containers… maybe even a FBC Cozy… I should have tested mine, but the mug is now in the dishwasher. I suspect it would not bulge so much that fitting it in the mesh bag would be an issue.

Speaking of which, here are the two mesh bags… actually though, I think the bag on the left is some random bag I had that just happens to hold the SP600 (to toggle is different from my SP900 bag and there no snowpeak label like my SP900 bag)… I don't know what happened to my original SP600 mesh bag…

Joshua Mitchell

@jdmitch

BTW – Aaron said the Turbo-II F fits well in the BL600.

Joshua Mitchell

@jdmitch

Hmm… something that is a little interesting… the depression around the lip of the lid? A 110g propane can fits right down in that…and the mesh bag appears to be sized just big enough to go up over it, makes a nice stable little package…

Brett .

@brett1234

Locale: CA

Great comparison. That series of Brasslite cookwear loos like a great value. One thing to add, the small canister DOES fit in the SP600. That was the reason for the 600's design diameter and that's how I carry it. Upside down is best, which makes a bowl for a stove as shown in the pic.
    canister in 600

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Interesting.

Brett, I fit mine differently. My SP Gigapower stove, BIC lighter and small towel go into the SP600 first, then I drop in the small SP fuel canister — upside down — resting maybe 1/5th of an inch from the pot rim.

Looks like either way will work.

Joshua Mitchell

@jdmitch

I've never see anyone be able to fit a 110g canister COMPLETELY into a SP600 like your's does Brett…. never even heard of it… everyone I've ever seen 'hangs' it in upside down by the rim (not really by the rim, but it seems like it… matter of fact if there's nothing inside the SP600, it's easy to get it permanently wedged in there… which brand of canister are you using brett?

Sam .

@samurai

Locale: NEPA

>That was the reason for the 600's design diameter

Brett, I've certainly never seen Snow Peak make that claim.

Benjamin and me (among others) discussed this a while back. The method would seem to be inverting the canister and hoping it doesn't get wedged. You must have a slightly oversized pot as it doesn't work for any others that I know of.

Want to sell that pot??

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Sam:

If I try hard, I think I can force the 110 fuel canister all the way into my SP600 pot — right side up — but the inside of the pot will probably be all scratched up, and I may never be able to pry the canister out again.

OTOH, the fact is that I can fit stove, lighter, small towel and fuel canister all comfortably inside my SP600 (with canister resting on top of the stove in the upside down position) — and cover securely with my homemade lid — with nothing protruding out. That's all I care. For me anyway, I don't need (or want) an "oversized" SP600. What for — except to take up more pack space — even if just a little bit more?

BTW, if this reads sarcastically, it's just my attempt in humor — no offense intended! :)

Brett .

@brett1234

Locale: CA

>That was the reason for the 600's design diameter
    "Brett, I've certainly never seen Snow Peak make that claim."

Sam, you are correct; I have never either; it was an assumption on my part. A 100 gram canister nests perfectly in my 600, a 250gram canister nests in the Trek900, the 600 nests in the 900 which nests in the Trek1400. All that is shown in product literature, EXCEPT the canister in the 600.. And I don't doubt the explanations of tight canisters. But try it upside down if you have not? It slides all the way to bottoming out on mine, and I doubt there is much difference in the specified diameter of 95mm(according to the catalog)

Someone post a pic. of the canister rim stuck in the rim of a 600 cup?

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Brett:

When sliding the SP fuel canister down my SP600 — inverted — the canister does not hang at the rim of the cup or get stuck at the rim. The entire canister slides in — but stops at about 1/4 inch from the top rim of the cup. In other words, the canister will go in, but not very far.

Russell Swanson

@rswanson

Locale: Midatlantic

A 110g Snow Peak fuel canister fits in my SP 600 exactly as Brett's does. I slide it in, upside down, all the way to the bottom, then place my stove, lighter, etc. on top. I've never had an issue getting the canister in or out, though it is a tight fit that requires tamping the pot against my hand to remove the canister. I can get the canister in right-side up as well, but its much harder to remove…there seems to be some suction from the concave surface of the bottom of the canister.

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

You'd think that all SP 600 pots are identical — within minute tolerance — given mass production techniques and all… but maybe each and every one is painstakingly hammered out by hand by master craftmen working in shops???

The valve position on SP Gigapower stoves are all different as well! With the valves at "closed" position, the wire handle protrudes out in all different angles — depending on stove. A year ago, I opened up about six of the stoves at my local REI — and finally found one that didn't protrude out at all when closed. That was one of the happiest days of my life! :)

Just something about Snow Peak…

Sam .

@samurai

Locale: NEPA

Brett requested>"Someone post a pic. of the canister rim stuck in the rim of a 600 cup?"

Wedged Upright

This is as far as it's going to go without getting hopelessly wedged.

However, as Ben says, it fits nicely inverted. Again, this is as far in as it's going to go inverted.

Wedged Inverted

Next thread will be…How to remove a stuck canister from a SP600.

D G
    Spectator

@dang

Locale: Pacific Northwet

Knife, banging, swearing, bruised knuckles, about 1 hour.

I've done it.

Joshua Mitchell

@jdmitch

Brett / Russel,

Are you two sure it's SP fuel you're using not someone elses?

Bill Fornshell
    BPL Member

@bfornshell

Locale: Southern Texas

Put the cup in a larger pot full of water and get the water as hot as you can. Try to remove it ever so often and sooner or later it will pop out. Do this outside and stay well away from it. Make sure your insurence is paid up.

Russell Swanson

@rswanson

Locale: Midatlantic

I'm positive its Snow Peak fuel. It's a tight fit even with the canister inverted, but I don't have any issues removing it. I just turn the mug upside down and bang it against the palm of my hand. The canister works its way out in short order. The inside of my mug does show some marks from the bottom canister lip, probably from sand/grit scoring the surface but its just cosmetic.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools