Topic

Incoming: New Polartec Power Dry High Efficiency base layers

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Incoming: New Polartec Power Dry High Efficiency base layers

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    hwc 1954

@wcollings

Yippee. I have two new baselayer tops on the way. I'm sick of sweating like a pig while winter snow shoeing and have decided to expand my arsenal of tops. Unless it's snowing or blowing like crazy, I'm better off with a completely breathable top layer.

The R1 hoody wasn't that interesting because I already have a bunch of Power Stretch fleece 1/2 zip tops, hoodys, and tights. Love these. Wear them all winter around the house and around town and they make fantastic night attire for cool season camping. Much of the time, a Power Stretch hoody over a thin baselayer shirt is perfect for show shoeing. The R1 appears to be close enough in warmth that I wouldn't really be expanding my options much.

So, I just picked up two new Power Dry High Efficiency tops. A 1/2 zip Patagonia Capilene 4 and a Marmot Thermo Hoody:

Patagonia Cap 4 1/2 zip and Marmot Thermo Hoody

Both are the same Power Dry High Efficiency fabric. The Patagonia has no pocket, thumb loops, a double fabric layer in the shoulders and styling that wouldn't be too over-the-top for the grocery store The Marmot has a single-layer hood, a chest pocket, thumb holes, elastic trim at the bottom and styling that is more ninja/hiking/snow shoveling.

I figure that both will made excellent top layers on high-heat potential hikes in the 15 to 30 degree temperature range, probably over very a silkweight synthetic baselayer long sleeve crew neck. Easy next step in the wind would be a wind hoody. Or a down hoody when stopped.

I also have a Midweight Power Dry gridded 1/2 zip baselayer (similar to Cap 3, I think) that would be even one step lighter. Or, a Power Stretch hoody if I'm not sweating as much on flat land hike.

Can't wait to try them out.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools