Topic

MYOG Backpacking Shoes

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
PostedFeb 2, 2014 at 8:40 pm

Has anybody tried making their own shoes? I'm not talking camp booties or stream crossing shoes, but real deal hiking shoes. Just curious, I don't think I've ever come across a gear list including self made shoes, even from the most advanced MYOG people I know.

Could it be done? Or would it be far too difficult/expensive to even bother attempting?

PostedFeb 2, 2014 at 9:52 pm

Look up the exodus sandals. It's a project started by a member and several people have ordered the first run of production.

Not "shoes," but they are real deal lightweight hiking sandals.

PostedFeb 4, 2014 at 10:57 am

Thanks for the mention Andy.

Andrew, let me know if I can answer any questions for you regarding our XO's. We are also going to release at least one new thicker (but not heavier) Vibram sole this spring.

Thanks,
Ryan

Roger Caffin BPL Member
PostedFeb 4, 2014 at 12:05 pm

I tried, once, and decided that MYOG shoes (not sandels) is one thing I would not tackle.

Cheers

PostedFeb 4, 2014 at 6:36 pm

I'm in the middle of messing around. I cast my foot and have some material to start making a pattern.

Bob Gross BPL Member
PostedFeb 4, 2014 at 7:19 pm

"I tried, once, and decided that MYOG shoes (not sandels) is one thing I would not tackle."

That would put your CNC machine to good use.

–B.G.–

Justin Baker BPL Member
PostedFeb 4, 2014 at 8:04 pm

I can't even fathom how you would DIY shoes unless they were simple leather or canvas with a sewed on sole.

PostedFeb 8, 2014 at 3:45 pm

You can buy 2 part foam kits from smooth on if you wanted to try to make a foam midsole. But if you can hack a more minimal shoe you can do a sewn in leather insole with a layer of cork for a bit of padding then the outsole

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
Loading...