Topic

Double bagging it

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
PostedFeb 2, 2014 at 1:28 pm

Last night I put my Montbell super stretch ul3 inside my western mountaineering megalite to see how it would do in the cold, temps were to get down below 0°F. I xc skied to the woods about a mile behind me and set up my old zoid 1 in a clearing with some wind protection with which I did get, I would say the winds were never stronger than 5-8 mph where I was. The temp dropped steady from 18°F at 9pm to -5°F by 6:30-7 am. I slept in a light base layer and socks no hat with a 1" thermarest pad under a ridge rest. I started out with the montbell fully zipped and the WM 1/2 zipped top open and as the temp dropped I cinched the hoods closed and zipped up the outer bag. I was warm all night except my nose. I could maybe push this to -10 before adding additional clothing. With my ski bibs and puffy and hat I'm sure I could push this to at least -20°F. These two bags fit together like they were made to be together the megalite is roomy and the ss pulls itself around you. Earlier in the night when my legs were getting warm between I had plenty of space to stretch the ss bag to get cooled down this was a very roomy comfortable combo. I do sleep a little warmer than most and I'm 5'10" and 225#. I know others were asking about combining bags recently so I thought I'd report my experience the two together weigh in at 3lbs

Joe Lynch BPL Member
PostedFeb 2, 2014 at 4:03 pm

Very weird. I used the same two bags last weekend at Tahoe. I was very comfortable to 15 degrees in a tent, icebreaker 200 weight wool bottoms, light REI base shirt, beanie, and full length xlite on top of a prolite. One difference is I have a long megalite and normal SSL. Plenty of room to stuff the SSL in the megalite.

PostedFeb 3, 2014 at 10:53 am

My montbell is long enough with 1-2" to spare the megalite is so long that I could put a soccer ball in the hood and still fit easily, I sometimes wonder if I didn't get a 6'6" tagged as a 6'. Was 15°F as low as you'd take it or just as low as you did take it.

Joe Lynch BPL Member
PostedFeb 3, 2014 at 4:27 pm

It didn't get any colder than 15 degrees and I was completely comfortable with relatively light clothing. Probably could have gone significantly colder if I had put on an additional layer. Had plenty of room to wear more clothing in the two bags, too. I'm 5'8", medium build.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
Loading...