Topic

Help me pick a computer

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Off Piste Other Activities Help me pick a computer

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 posts - 51 through 52 (of 52 total)
  • Author
    Paul Magnanti
    BPL Member

@paulmags

Locale: Colorado Plateau

I made a guest laptop Lubuntu for the "you can't screw it up…works on old hardware" argument.

Guests can browse websites, print out boarding passes and check e-mail.

Really don't need much more than that for basic functionality.

OF course with smart phones, not needed as much.

Glenn S

@glenn64

Locale: Snowhere, MN

Personally, I think this is way over analyzed. For the things you want to do, and with the computers out today, there isn't one made in the last 10 years that can't do all you want from it.

I'd just look for a cheap Windows system (better file organization and cheaper) with:

An SD card slot (USB card readers are also an option)
    A DVD Burner
    WiFi if you have Wireless internet at home.
    USB ports (pretty much a given)

The rest of the stuff isn't worth considering for what you want it to do. a 500g hard drive will hold something like 100,000 photos. If you get to that point, you'll want a totally different system anyway.

Stay cheap and light and portable is my opinion. By the time you learn how to use it to its capabilities, it'll be outdated anyway. Start small and stay cheap.

A desktop system with a full keyboard, mousepad, monitor, power strip, speakers, then a desk to put it all on…? Just not sure that's the route you'd want to take at this point. Especially if you're used to the mobility of an iPad. I'd go full sized laptop.

Viewing 2 posts - 51 through 52 (of 52 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools