Topic

If anyone knows what this foam thing was used for originally, let me know

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
PostedFeb 1, 2014 at 12:38 pm

I found this foam thing at a local store that sells industrial waste materials suitable for art projects. Everything is in bins and piles. The major local industries that seem to donate a lot are the Decker's shoe company and medical device makers, but there are certainly other local industries that donate and I don't think this thing was used for shoes or medical devices.

This foam thing is exactly what I've been hoping to find. If you know what it was from, let me know. Perhaps I could find more if I knew what it was used for originally.
Foam thing

Side view. It's just the right stiffness and thickness.
Thickness

Here it is compared to the back pad that my Gossamer Gear pack uses.
Comparison

I cut the edges.
Edges cut

Here it is installed. It's a tad short, but it's not going to fall out. It is comfortable. My hope is better air flow on my back.
Installed

PostedFeb 1, 2014 at 1:11 pm

I don't know, but if I had to guess, I'd guess that it was used as packing material to ship a bunch of glass vials.

D S BPL Member
PostedFeb 1, 2014 at 1:26 pm

My company uses returnable containers and dunnage (interior packaging) for a lot of stuff we ship. I'd say it may have come from the med device or automotive industry. Then again, any industry shipping components, especially electronics, to an assembly line would use similar stuff.

PostedFeb 1, 2014 at 3:01 pm

Medical industry glass vials. Has to be. There were bins and bins and bins and bins of glass vials, pipettes, eye droppers, syringes and other things of that nature. It's sturdy foam. What a waste!

D S BPL Member
PostedFeb 1, 2014 at 7:31 pm

Returnable Plastic Containers have round corners.

D S BPL Member
PostedFeb 2, 2014 at 9:44 am

No, the plastic containers that the foam dunnage goes into has rounded corners. I'll try to take a pic of one tomorrow and post it.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
Loading...