I'm looking to make a 1.1oz silnylon tent with an integrated groundsheet/bathtub floor. What's a good material to make it out of that will last and would be easy to integrate?
Topic
Integrated groundsheet with tent, What material do you recommend?
Become a member to post in the forums.
- This topic is empty.
Silnylon is commonly used.
Todd is right. I think all Tarptents use 30d silnylon and those seem to last just fine. If you wanted to step up the durability use some 70d nylon, maybe with a PU coating instead of sil but you can find both.
Ryan
An advantage to silnylon is that When you develop pinholes/leaks you can just re-paint it with diluted silicone, at about 1 ounce per re-coat.
I agree with Greg. Good instructions for coating your silnylon floor are here: http://jwbasecamp.com/Articles/Silnylon1/index.html
If you use silnylon, get the "Shield" from thru-hiker.com. Other silnylons are not waterproof enough, although if you coat them with mineral spirits:silicone they are, but maybe not as durable as the Shield.
Rest of tent probably doesn't matter which silnylon you use, although some people get Shield also.
Become a member to post in the forums.

