Topic

M90 “T” vs. M90 “MR”

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
M W BPL Member
PostedJan 31, 2014 at 10:52 am

Can anyone explain the difference between M90 MR v3 (whats stocked at Thru-Hiker right now), and M90 T?

I understand the M90 T goes on the inside. Is M90 T softer against the skin?

Jerry Adams BPL Member
PostedJan 31, 2014 at 11:02 am

MR – mini ripstop – there's a grid of thicker thread that supposedly prevents a rip from continuing

T – Tafeta – surface is smooth with no grid

I wonder if ripstop is really effective. Not that important which one you choose.

Bob Gross BPL Member
PostedJan 31, 2014 at 12:24 pm

"I wonder if ripstop is really effective."

It doesn't seem to hurt. If nothing else, it affects the texture and appearance of the fabric.

–B.G.–

Jerry Adams BPL Member
PostedJan 31, 2014 at 12:41 pm

I think any difference good or bad is small, so it doesn't make much difference

Richard Nisley BPL Member
PostedJan 31, 2014 at 1:49 pm

In March 2011, I tested the "taffeta" versions of the same fabric called Intrepid, TG Intrepid, TH Momentum 90 T, & Quarktex (20d) taffeta by various vendors. The fabric from each vendor tested identical with an air permeability of 4.7 CFM and a HH of 949.04.

In March 2011, I also tested the "multiple ripstop" versions of the same fabric called calendared + DWR TG Intrepid, TH Momentum 90 MR (V2), & Quarktex (20d) mini-ripstop. They tested identical with an air permeability of 4.7 CFM and a HH of 559.6

As a general rule, ripstop fabrics have a very significant increase in abrasion resistance (2-4x) but, less HH than the equivalent weave taffeta versions. The silicone coating knife or calendaring process seems to create a less uniform surface when it encounters the larger diameter ripstop threads as opposed to the uniform surface taffeta.

See submissions 14 and 15 at http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=45026&disable_pagination=1

Jerry Adams BPL Member
PostedJan 31, 2014 at 2:11 pm

Thanks Richard, someone with data rather than just opinion : )

Do you think ripstop works to stop a rip that starts to form? Rip will encounter one of the bigger threads of the rip stop which will then stop the rip from continuing?

M W BPL Member
PostedFeb 1, 2014 at 9:32 am

Thanks for the replies – I suppose then the M90 T is nicer against skin.

Although this has been debated elsewhere, is there any practical reason to choose between Pertex Quantum and M90 MR v3? TH has both, but a nice variety of colours in M90 MR, and its $8 cheaper in the kits…

I get the impression that they are in practical, field terms, not that different in their performance. Is this fair?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
Loading...