Topic

Temp rating for under quilt for winter months and boosting its rating.

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
Kevin Burton BPL Member
PostedJan 30, 2014 at 6:12 pm

I'm trying to ramp up my gear for more winter and early spring months.

My goal is to get a 20 degree full length under quilt for my hammock. I have my full length 20 degree top quilt right now.

My thinking is that this should be fine for four seasons as long as I combine this with:

– wearing both my down pants and down jacket. The top quilt shouldn't really compress it significantly.

– wear both wool pants and top

– wear mountaineering socks. This is a great hack btw if your feet run cold (as mine do).

– Dig out a small pit in the snow for my hammock and tarp and seal it

– for colder months, I'm going to use a tarp with doors.

I realize that the down would compress underneath me. However, I think that preventing wind from getting into my tarp as well as being sunk into the snow will solve that.

Do you think this would be acceptable or am I going to be too cold?

I'm trying to avoid buying too many down accessories as they are expensive.

I like this setup as it brings layering and should also scale up into the spring/fall months.

Thoughts?

Reggie BPL Member
PostedJan 30, 2014 at 6:22 pm

Your ideas are great. Gotta keep the wind off the hammock when it's cold and windy. An UQ protector really helps the UQ keep you warm. It hangs around your UQ and keeps the wind off of it.

The UQ is more important than the TQ.

Taking a small sit pad into the top quilt to put your feet on really helps.

Make sure the noggin has a good top on it.

On those frozen butt nights, boil water for a nalgene or two. Voila: instant heat in the hammock. Put one between your thighs, one by your abdomen or in your foot box.

You'll snooze until the cow jumps over the moon.

Kevin Burton BPL Member
PostedJan 30, 2014 at 6:46 pm

One problem with the hot water bottle idea is that it tends to slide down … I think I might use some cheap cord to secure it to end of the hammock so it doesn't keep sliding at night.

and packing in a sit pad is a good idea. For the first few nights I might as well pack in as much warm gear as possible just in case I need it.

I think that I won't need an UQ protector if I have doors..

I was actually thinking that it might make more sense to have a new type of tarp design which encloses the hammock entirely.

Including a floor under the hammock. This would also work well in the summer months as it will keep out insects.

I'm mostly migrating to a strategy where I wake up before sunrise and keep hiking until after sunset.

PostedJan 30, 2014 at 6:54 pm

You're making it a lot harder than it needs to be. Just get a hammock sock and be done with it.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
Loading...