Topic

Help needed re: Lightest tarp setup for 2 people + wood stove

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
Konrad . BPL Member
PostedJan 30, 2014 at 1:52 pm

Hi guys,
I was hoping you could all help me brainstorm. I'm wondering what's the lightest most efficient "hot tent" setup I can achieve that will fit 2 people. I do not want to buy Cuben Fiber. I would be using a very small wood stove (e.g., the Ti Goat/Ruta Locura WiFi Stove). Also, the 2 people are small and thin (5'7" ~140lbs and 5' ~100lbs).

Here are my considerations so far:

Golite SL5
Seems like it would be plenty of room for 2 + wood stove + gear. Tarp + supplied stakes weighs only 32oz, but I have to buy the whole setup, including the unneeded inner nest, for $300 from golite

Black Diamond Megalight:
I'm not sure if this will be big enough, but I want to say that it'll work since we are small. Weighs 29.4 oz for the tarp only + supplied stakes and trekking pole connector. Big Perk: I can prodeal this for around 50% off, so probably around $150 total cost.

Golite SL3
This would be ideal since there is one on gearswap right now, but I think this will definitely be too small for 2 people + stove. Weighs 25oz for tarp +supplied stakes

I briefly considered the MHW Hoopla 4, but it seems like setup is finicky, requires a lot of stakes and is heavier than all the other options above.

Would love to hear your thoughts, especially from anyone that has shoved 2 bodies in any of these tents. Thanks guys!

Brian Johns BPL Member
PostedJan 30, 2014 at 2:06 pm

I think Oware is a good choice here. Lot's of options, and you could probably even get him to put the stove jack/opening in it for you. The large "Pyramid Tarp" is 11 x 11, but the 88 or 9×9 should be sufficient (given that a duomid is pretty roomy and 9 x 5), and at $2XX these are less than most solo cuben shelters, and many nylon ones. He offers a 10 foot dimension also. here's a link to the bigger one:

http://shop.bivysack.com/product.sc?productId=35&categoryId=4

Ross L BPL Member
PostedJan 30, 2014 at 2:36 pm

Konrad

The Bearpawwd Luna 4 would also work, and they will supply and sew in the stove jack for you.

J-L BPL Member
PostedJan 31, 2014 at 8:10 pm

The GoLite SL3 would be too small. A Megalight might work for two people and a wood stove, but I don't see there being a lot of room left to move around once you account for storing wood and gear. Since you're bringing a wood stove, I assume you'll be spending some time just hanging out in the shelter? Here's a picture of my Megalight if it helps:

mega

It might work for a couple, but I think the extra ounces for a larger mid would would be worth it. A 9×9 from Oware is 6'' tall (vs about 5'6'' tall for the Megalight). A 10×10 would be even better. I guess this all changes if you are able to dig out a snow-pit.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
Loading...