Topic

eBay Carbon Fiber Tube Strength

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
PostedJan 29, 2014 at 8:51 pm

I found some carbon fiber tubes (http://www.ebay.com/itm/F06837-Tarot-FY680-Quadcopter-Dia-10MM-3K-Carbon-Fiber-Tube-Boom-280MM-TL68B22-/271309973136?pt=Radio_Control_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3f2b55a690) on eBay and I'm wondering how they would hold up as a tent pole or trekking pole extender. Does anybody know enough about carbon fiber to tell me if these will bear weight?

If so, they're available in lots of different lengths, I'm sure my fellow MYOGers could get a lot of mileage out of them.

Roger Caffin BPL Member
PostedJan 29, 2014 at 9:37 pm

Be VERY, VERY, VERY careful with what CF tubing you buy. Some of it is really pultruded fibreglass tubing with a cosmetic cover of carbon fibre. Such tubing spilts over the full length when bent a bit.

I do not know what this stuff is as they do not really say, but they DO mention the fibreglass, so I am suspicious. On the other hand, it is probably just fine for orthopters.

Cheers

PostedJan 29, 2014 at 9:40 pm

Might be better off at looking for carbon fiber arrows on sale, clearance, etc. Used some of mine to make an external frame backpack.

PostedJan 30, 2014 at 12:05 pm

Thanks for the heads up. I found another listing that's a little pricier, but specifies that it's roll, not pultruded, so I think I'm going to try that out. I'll report back here when it's gotten some use.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
Loading...