Topic

Platypus-like water bags

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
Bob Gross BPL Member
PostedJan 29, 2014 at 2:05 pm

Lots of us use Platypus water bags of various sizes. I use two 2L bags for a gravity filter. After a while, even their light weight will add up.

I found some new Platypus-like water bags at the Daiso store. Right away I will say that they are not built for heavy use quite like a real Platypus. There are two models, each $1.50. One is 3.9L, and it weighs only 1.13 ounces. The smaller one is 1.2L, and it weighs only 0.74.

Here are a few gems that I gleaned from the product package warnings once I got past the Japanese characters:
* It can be folded and carried conveniently after using it. When it is empty, fold it to carry.
* Freeze with water in the refrigerator.
* You can get broken ices by cutting the body of the frozen bag.
* Disposable for outdoor sports and hiking.
* Keep away from fire.
* Avoid keeping beside of sharp stuffs as they may leave scratches on the product.
* Well wash before using.
* Do not fully fill water when you freeze it.
* Do not fill it with the diluent, gasoline or alcohol etc except for water. It may cause deterioration of the item.
* Do not fill it with hot water.
* Do not carry it for a long time, when it contains water.
* Use it only for its intended purpose.
* Do not use it in microwave.

–B.G.–

Dale Wambaugh BPL Member
PostedJan 29, 2014 at 2:14 pm

Daiso has all kinds of little treasures. I would use those bladders in an outside pocket with no fear.

Our local Goodwill stores have new 2.8 liter bladders for $1.79. The capacity may be overstated a bit. I filled one up, gave it a good thrashing and it held up.

Goodwill platy

Brian Johns BPL Member
PostedJan 29, 2014 at 2:16 pm

That's what I always needed, Bob. Thanks. It seems I am always looking for a drink after I take my daily well wash. This'll be great for that. Not to mention, I love broken ices, and have been looking for a canteen for years, that I could just toss out off the side of the trail when it goes empty. As this one's disposable, it'll be easier, as I won't have to concern myself with a Pika getting stuck inside and trapped after I've disposed of it. sucks that I can't put gasoline in it, though. But for the price, it's well worth it.

All kidding aside, great weight, and nice simple design and size. I needed Dale's pic, because I had this impression of aome sort of Japan Pop Tokyo Fun Time Anime graphics. Kind of bummed they're not there, but this is a stealth model I suppose.

Bob Gross BPL Member
PostedJan 29, 2014 at 2:36 pm

Dale, the construction is identical, even if the volumes and packaging are different.

–B.G.–

Bob Gross BPL Member
PostedJan 29, 2014 at 2:39 pm

"Japan Pop Tokyo Fun Time Anime graphics."

Brian, that is on the next aisle over.

For those who may not be familiar with this store, it is the Japanese equivalent of a dollar store.

–B.G.–

Dale Wambaugh BPL Member
PostedJan 30, 2014 at 12:55 pm

"Japan Pop Tokyo Fun Time Anime graphics."

Hello Kitty water bladders? Ewww! It would induce some imagines placebo taste, I'm sure.

I see more of the 500/750ml size platy style bladders produced for promotional use. I'm sure they are cheaper and easier to print on than the cheap bike bottle variants. The sheer volume of that stuff is terrible.

Eddie Bauer has deals on their Vapur bottles at times. They have worked fine for me. Sierra Trading Post has deals on real Platypus stuff every now and then, like $3.95 for the one liter containers.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
Loading...