Topic

Tent site in the Florida Keys in April?? Help!

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Off Piste Other Activities Tent site in the Florida Keys in April?? Help!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Jeffs Eleven
    BPL Member

@woodenwizard

Locale: NePo

Hey y'all

My brother in law is getting married in Orlando and my wife and I are gonna make the most of it with a trip to the Keys for a few days!

We are looking for tent sites and there aren't many! Even fewer still available. I was wondering if anyone around here knows of a place to put a tent down for a night or two- it would be amazing!

Let me know if you know of a good spot! Thanks!

Ben C
    BPL Member

@alexdrewreed

Locale: Kentucky

I've camped at Pennecamp on Largo but it was a long time ago. I think Big Pine Key has better spots.

Jeffs Eleven
    BPL Member

@woodenwizard

Locale: NePo

We area actually thinking of canceling our Key adventure because of the lack of camping sites that don't suck and/or aren't too expensive.

Dean F.
    BPL Member

@acrosome

Locale: Back in the Front Range

Go native. Get a hammock. Pitch anywhere, even over water in mangroves. Mind the tide, though.

Do you think you could get to Dry Tortugas?

http://www.nps.gov/drto/planyourvisit/camping.htm

Taking the ferry is $170, so I doubt you'd call that cheap, but if you can get dropped off and picked up by a friend with a boat it might work for you.

Or there is good camping in Everglades NP, IIRC from researching the Wilderness Waterway. Most require access by boat, but not all.

Tim Zen
    Spectator

@asdzxc57

Locale: MI

Tell us the rats are not an issue on the dry tortugas.

Dean F.
    BPL Member

@acrosome

OK. The rats are not an issue on the Dry Tortugas.

Of course, I have no idea if that is actually true or not, but you said to tell you that… :)

I've never been there, but it is a place on my list. I'd prefer to hit the Wilderness Waterway first, though.

Will Webster

@willweb

A few years ago we rented a canoe in Everglade City and spent 3 days paddle camping the 10,000 Islands. Had a great time. You really have to consider the tides if you do this.

Tim Zen
    Spectator

@asdzxc57

Locale: MI

I had my wife up for this because her sister lives in FL. Then she read about the rats. Also no fuel on the boat except for charcoal.
    And no reservations. Sort of a free for all. Then the 24 generator at the coast guard station. Why would you ever leave CO? I can't get past the rats.

However. It does sound really amazing.

Dean F.
    BPL Member

@acrosome

What I read regarding the ferry said "no pressurized gas canisters", which leads me to believe that alcohol or even white gas might be acceptable. I'd ask first, though.

The 10,000 islands and Everglades City is the northern terminus of the Wilderness Waterway, which runs from there to Flamingo. Which, I would propose, sounds very interesting even if it is not in Colorado… :)

But more seriously, my parents tend to winter in Florida, so I'd have a built-in shuttle service to kayak the Waterway and I'd really like to take advantage of that at some point.

Nathan Watts
    BPL Member

@7sport

Not in the Keys, but I camped here as a kid. I thought the island was amazing. You can get there by ferry.

http://www.floridastateparks.org/cayocosta/

Will Webster

@willweb

We spent a night at Cayo Costa a few years ago; you have to stay in the campground and it gets a lot of partyers but we enjoyed it. You can rent a kayak and paddle around the island.

J Mag

@goprogator

Can you really overnight in the Tortugas?

I have been there a few times for snorkeling/ diving but it is a pretty small island and I would be surprised if there wasn't a law about it. Figured I would have seen tons of people doing it if not.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools