Topic

When is warm…too warm?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) When is warm…too warm?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    BPLwiia
    Spectator

@bplwiia

This year I bought an Exped Downmat XP 9 and am trying to determine when it gets shelved until next fall/winter.

What night-time temperature would be the highest I could still use the Downmat 9 with without being too uncomfortably warm?

My preference is to sleep on the warm side.

Richard Nisley
    BPL Member

@richard295

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

W,

Do you change the mattress on your bed between winter and summer? Of course not; aside from the weight penalty, you don't need to do it with a sleeping pad either.

With a DM9 you would lose less heat to the ground than an air mattress but, you can easily compensate for that by additional venting of your sleeping bag or quilt.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Seem to remember one time when we had to sleep on our mats as the ground (sand) was too hot…
    Australian summer.

Cheers

BPLwiia
    Spectator

@bplwiia

That's good news.

I do have several other pads/mattresses. One being an EMS ultralight air mattress, a RR Solar, and a CCF pad. So as the temperatures warm I can mix and match pads to optimize warmth and sleeping conditions.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools