Topic

Montbell UL Down Jacket

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Montbell UL Down Jacket

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    Josh Thomas
    BPL Member

@jtpeso

Locale: Louisville, Ky

I'm looking for a new down jacket. I've been eyeing the Montbell U.L. Jacket (no hood). But I'm a little concerned that it won't actually be warm enough. I understand it's got nearly an ounce less down than something like the Patagonia Down Sweater, but the weight and cost are much more favorable.

Anybody got any thoughts on this? Thanks!

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

It's definately less warm than the Pata Down Jacket (in my subjective experience). It's a good June-August jacket but a little light for shoulder season use. For May and Sept-Oct you'll probably want something a bit warmer (depending on where you hike).

Montbell also makes the Guide Parka, which has 3.5oz of down in a ~9oz package. It's sold as the Frost Smoke in N. America with heavier reinforced fabrics but you can buy the Asian version on eBay which weighs less. Other options in the 3oz down/9oz total weight range are the Patagonia Ultralight Down Hoody, Arcteryx Cerium LT, Feathered Friends Daybreak and Western Mountaineering Flash.

Brian Johns
    BPL Member

@bcutlerj

Locale: NorCal

It's more like 12 oz. than 9 oz., but it is stuffed full of down. Recent thread around here somewhere on the subject, it was the first I learned of the Mirage, and now I know I need one. ;-)

Josh Thomas
    BPL Member

@jtpeso

I was afraid of that. Thanks for all the suggestions, Dan!

Josh Thomas
    BPL Member

@jtpeso

The Mirage may be a bit more than what I need. But I did take a look at the Alpine Light. It leans toward the ~ 11 oz. range, too.

Kimberly Wersal
    BPL Member

@kwersal

Locale: Western Colorado

The Alpine light is considerably warmer than the UL.

Rick M
    BPL Member

@yamaguy

del

chris smead
    BPL Member

@hamsterfish

Locale: San Jose, CA

I had Ben from goose feet make me a 7.5oz hooded 1/3 zip parka with 3.5 oz of downtek. Material is quantum GL.
    LOVE it!

Derek M.
    BPL Member

@dmusashe

Locale: Southern California

I've never owned a Montbell UL Down Jacket, but I do live near a Montbell store and had the opportunity to try one on the other day.

I wasn't that impressed with it. The shell material felt strange… Sort of stiffer/courser than I was expecting… not as soft as comparable jackets I've tried on.

Also, I was very frustrated by the fact that there is no way to seal in your heat with this jacket since the bottom hem has no elastic and no drawcord. This struck me as a serious design flaw. It's "stupid light" to leave that feature out, IMO.

Still, I've never owned the jacket, so take this all with a grain of salt. It was just my initial impression of it.

Mike W
    BPL Member

@skopeo

Locale: British Columbia

I have the UL Down Jacket and it's a good mid-season jacket. I got tired of trying to stretch it's useful range into the shoulder season though, and have just bought a Montbell Alpine Light down jacket for the colder trips. It's nice to be able to choose the right jacket for the job. If I had to choose only one, I'd still go with the UL Down because of the warmth/weight/features (I like pockets) and you can always layer up in the shoulder season.

Richard Lyon
    BPL Member

@richardglyon

Locale: Bridger Mountains

Josh, I tested the UL (parka version), the EX Light, and Plasma 1000 for BackpackGearTest. All are good but the UL is by far the most versatile. The others are midlayers only, while the UL can serve as an outer jacket down to freezing. MB intended it as a midlayer though, and if you're looking for an outer down jacket I'd get something with more down. I can recommend Nunatak (if the budget allows) or Patagonia.

Richard

Miner
    BPL Member

@miner

Locale: SoCAL

Josh,

Its hard to comment when you don't tell us what you want it for.

I own 2 Montbell jackets. An older 2007 MontBel UL Down Inner Jacket (L, 7.6oz)back when they used snaps instead of a ziper and a 2009 MontBell Ext UL Down Jacket (L, 6.4oz). In terms of warmth, they are about the same. The Ext UL down Jacket I've used on the PCT and AT and its held up very well. I've been very happy with it and I have no plans on replacing it soon. Combined with a lightweight set of thermals, a rain jacket, and a warm hat + lightweight gloves keeps me warm in camp down into the low 20's. Though I have a high metabolism so I'm generating a fair amount of heat even at rest. I've found it far too hot to hike in even when it was snowing on me. For those who say its too light to be of use, I say those Nanopuff and down sweaters are too heavy to needed.

Ryan Smith
    BPL Member

@violentgreen

Locale: East TN

For me, the UL down jacket is good to about 40 deg or so. Anything lower than that and it gets a bit chilly. Great jacket for the price & weight though.

Ryan

Josh Thomas
    BPL Member

@jtpeso

Sean, I'd be using it for everything from hiking during Southeast winters, shoulder seasons in the mountain west, and wearing it to work/around town. So, kind of an "all-around" down jacket. I'm also not looking to spend $300 on a jacket. Plus, I'm a skinny dude, so I like the smaller baffled jackets. They keep me from looking like the Stay-Puft Marshmallow Man.

Looks like the Pata DS or the MB Alpine Light might be the best "all-around" options when considering weight, fit, warmth and cost. I also caught a sight of the Rab Microlight, but it uses 750 down. (I'd read also that Rab uses the EU fill weight measurements, which are different from the US. Can anybody speak to that?)

Rick M
    BPL Member

@yamaguy

del

Brian Lewis

@brianle

Locale: Pacific NW

To this comment:
    "It's a good June-August jacket but a little light for shoulder season use."

I would say that's likely to be true for a lot of folks, but not universally true, and as someone else suggested, it depends on various factors. Your metabolism, your "hiking style", where and when you're hiking, whether the weather turns out to be 'normal' for that time and place or not … etc.

"Style" — I used this jacket as my warmth layer when I thru-hiked the CDT, coupled with a thermawrap vest. The first month or so I was in snow more often than not. But a common thru-hiker approach to staying warm is to crawl into the sleeping bag and do everything in camp "half in the bag". I.e., no sitting around in camp on a log, singing songs and toasting marshmallows or the like (at least when it's cold).

This is a very warm piece of gear for the weight and bulk. I also have a Montbell Alpine Light parka, and while it is of course much warmer, it's also a lot heavier and bulkier. The UL Down Jacket is a great piece of gear to combine with other layers, and something small and light enough that I'll toss it in a daypack even on hikes when I don't expect it to be very cold.

Dustin Short
    BPL Member

@upalachango

The UL down parka I had was amazing. I used it on nearly every trip and it was warmer than a 300wt fleece but much lighter. I could push it to near freezing with heavier base layers, but not much farther.

With the recent OR announcement of a hooded pullover version of the EX Lite with 900fp down, I may pick that up instead of the UL Parka. Definitely worth looking at!

Jason Elsworth
    Spectator

@jephoto

Locale: New Zealand
    James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

the EXL is more or less the same, just a tad lighter and more expensive

the main thing to remember about these things is that they are down SWEATERS … think of it as such and youll be fine

many people will use something with somewhat more down for more general shoulder season use … something with ~4 oz of high fill power down

as to fleece … the EXL is not as warm as even a 200 wt fleece in a cold high humidity environment (rainy PNW shoulder season) …. high fill power down will lose loft in the close to 100% humidity on those days

;)

Andy Anderson
    BPL Member

@ianders

Locale: Southeast

If its cold enough for a puffy jacket, your head is going to be cold too. Whatever you do get the one with a hood. It makes all the difference in the world.

Christopher Yi
    Spectator

@traumahead

Locale: Cen Cal

Right now I have a UL Down Parka and is not quite warm enough. How effective is it adding something like a down vest?

Serge Giachetti
    Spectator

@sgiachetti

Locale: Boulder, CO

@chistopher yi

I just bought a M borah gear down vest for $100 at 3.6 oz. I wear a M in most puffy layers as well, and this will layer a close fitting puffy or under a looser fitting one just fine. If you are too cold in the montbell UL most of the time, then I'd look at getting something with more fill, but if its only toward the shoulder seasons, then supplementing with a down vest would work fine.

Tom D.
    BPL Member

@dafiremedic

Locale: Southern California

I bought a Montbell U.L. down jacket (8.2 oz. in large with stuff sack, lighter than the long sleeve T-Shirt I'm wearing right now) in 2012 for my JMT thru-hike and I couldn't have been more pleased. Kept me warm in camp when temps got into the low 30's. I still take it with me on any hike where I think I might need a jacket, as it packs very small. Look at all the other suggestions as well, but don't count out the Montbell.

Chad “Stick” Poindexter
    BPL Member

@stick

Locale: Southeast USA

I have been using a MB down inner parka the last couple of years, and with the correct layering system I have been perfectly warm and comfy, sitting around camp in temps well into the teens.

As has been pointed out, many of these lightweight down jackets are glorified puffy sweaters. They are not intended to be hardcore outer down jackets… instead, just another part of a layering system, and IMO, that they do very well. And for this reason, I highly recommend them. But, I also suggest that the user understand this garments role, and how to use it in a wide range of conditions…

I also picked up a MB Ex Light a few months back to carry when temps around freezing or above because for me, the ULDIP was just too much… Now, if I am expecting temps to stay below 25 or so on my trip, then I will carry my parka, otherwise, the Ex Light will come along…

But, also, as has been pointed out, MB is putting out a very attractive Ex Light Parka, and as an anorak at that! I think I will be digging that thing…

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools