Topic

What is this?

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
Jason Johnson BPL Member
PostedJan 28, 2014 at 11:29 am

Not sure where to put this…photography forum isn't very busy…. I took this in the Ark Ozarks on New Years Day. Ive never seen the entrances like this cleaned out so good…its almost like art.tree

PostedJan 28, 2014 at 3:37 pm

That is of course what I did.
(thinking about it no I did not do that, I just googled woodpeckers holes…)
There were some closer matches but many had rectangular holes and none were as elaborate or neat as the one posted by Jason so maybe he has a particularly obsessive compulsive (artistic ?) bird .

PostedJan 28, 2014 at 5:25 pm

I'll go out on a limb here….

…and guess that his photo is of nest holes that are years and years old. Hence the "polished" look, and the encroaching bark-layer.

From my experiences with Pileateds, they are not the delicate, nuanced, artistic type.
More like "jack hammer". Shreds of bark and tree are flying in all directions.

(With a wingspan approaching 30", I think they are the largest woodpecker in North America.)

PostedJan 29, 2014 at 12:43 pm

I always find it amazing how hard these birds work for their food storage spots. I had no idea they make nests that hard core inside the trees.

Bob Gross BPL Member
PostedJan 29, 2014 at 1:01 pm

Most Pileated Woodpeckers around here are smart enough to pick the right tree. They almost never go after a healthy hardwood tree. Typically they go after a softwood tree, and most typically it is a tree snag that has died, but it has not yet fallen. They like to nest a few feet from the top, so the few feet of trunk will be a good dry roof, yet it is high enough off the ground that there will be few predators.

Sometimes they are drilling just to get bugs, and it has little to do with excavating a nest.

–B.G.–

Dale Wambaugh BPL Member
PostedJan 29, 2014 at 1:19 pm

I had one wake me up by hammering on a cabin wall a little after dawn. I answered the front door a couple times until I realized what was going on. I found him around the corner and shooed him away.

Their calls make me feel like I'm in a jungle. I hear Flickers a lot too.

PostedJan 30, 2014 at 6:53 am

If the ivory billed woodpecker is extinct(there have been reported sightings) then the pileated is the biggest woodpecker. I'm no bird expert but around here I've seen them making nests in sycamore trees which are soft and the finish was not as smooth. I once saw what I thought was a pileated but it was much bigger and a little different in coloration, then I heard of ivorybilled sightings down south, hmmm….

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
Loading...