Topic

Current trail conditions in Zion? Or nearby.

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
David Thomas BPL Member
PostedJan 27, 2014 at 1:29 pm

BPLers, a few years ago, I established a tradition of asking my wife to take 1-2 days off for her birthday or, this year, for Valentine's Day and she does not get input, prior knowledge, nor any of the logistical workload. She is told "bring a swimsuit" or "a parka" or "both".

Anyway, there's a non-stop flight to Vegas and I was thinking Death Valley, but the lodging in DV is booked. There is lodging in St. George and in Springdale so how much hiking could we do, currently? Our disastrous Alaskan winter has been full of ice and slush, so we're not afraid of a few icy patches, but I'm hoping we can stretch our legs on some mostly snow-free trails. Day hikes of 10-15 miles length, slot canyons, red rock – stuff we don't see in Alaska.

I've gone hiking a few times off the main loop in the valley? Of the park as well as going the NW corner off I-15.

But I'd also be interested in any ideas within 3-ish hours of Vegas. For us, 40-55F is great hiking weather.

Valerie E BPL Member
PostedJan 27, 2014 at 3:31 pm

Have you thought about going as far as Grand Canyon? It is a bit more driving, but there's lots of lodging (the NPS lodges + many hotels in Tusayan). Even if there's a teeny bit of snow/ice on the rim, you'll quickly get below it hiking… I could certainly suggest any number of day hikes there…

David Thomas BPL Member
PostedJan 27, 2014 at 6:11 pm

Valerie,

Thanks. I thought about it. A bit more driving, likely icy at the rim, then clear trails for a far as we wanted to go. Any sense of trail-corridor campground availability? I assume phantom ranch would all booked up, but I should check.

Near the rim, I've often used Redfeather Lodge in Tusayan.

I've been to GCNP often and love going. My wife has been once (hiked down to join a private rafting trip), but has never been to Zion.

Valerie E BPL Member
PostedJan 28, 2014 at 1:23 pm

There are many other places in the Southern Utah/AZ area that would be interesting, like:

Coyote Buttes area (North Coyote Buttes includes "The Wave", but VERY hard to get a permit) — but South Coyote Buttes has some interesting hiking, too. Probably best to rent a 4WD for easy access to all the wacky rock formations.

Wire Pass/Buckskin Gulch/Pariah Canyon area — a connecting line of slot canyons that provides alternatives for day hiking or overnight(s). Must not be rainy weather.

A night in Page, AZ before/after one of the above, to see Antelope Canyon (no rain!).

Grand Staircase Escalante NP — some interesting slot canyons (no rain — again!).

Monument Valley — if you've ever loved those ol' 1950s westerns, it's a real kick to take a drive/horseback ride through here. The Navajo have built a fancy new hotel now, with beautiful sunset views.

Obviously, keep checking with Zion for cancellations — same thing with Phantom Ranch, if you want to go there. For Grand Canyon, since it's a Valentine's trip, I might recommend staying in a hotel, and then making a series of day hikes on various trails in the park (3-4 miles down, then back up), allowing you to be showered and ready for a romantic dinner every night! My husband and I did that once, and we still talk about that trip.

Mike Schasch BPL Member
PostedJan 28, 2014 at 5:19 pm

Its been perfect here lately. Nice cool temps, no crowds. I've been out canyoneering a bit.

If hiking out of the main canyon bring some mircospikes or something similar for the packed down icy stuff. Not sure about the Kolob Canyons area. You might try calling Zion Adventure Company, they might have better knowledge of specific trails.

PostedJan 29, 2014 at 8:58 am

For current conditions at Zion, you might try contacting the Wilderness Desk (located in the Visitors Center) at (435) 772-0170. I usually prefer staying in the park lodges but Desert Pearl in Springdale is pretty darn nice for a special occasion. I think many of the Springdale hotels keep a hot tub open year-round, too.

For the Grand Canyon, Phantom Ranch would probably be a long shot for Valentine's Day/President's Day weekend but I would think you could score a backcountry permit if you want to backpack. You would probably want to get all the way to the river for warmer night-time temps. I guess the obvious choice would be Bright Angel Campground, and you could enjoy warm meals and evenings at the Phantom Ranch canteen.

For non-corridor trails, Tanner, New Hance and Grandview have reputations for nasty ice; if you want to avoid those, Hermit might be your best shot. First night camp options would be Hermit Camp, Monument, Hermit Rapids or Granite Rapids. You can email the Backcountry Office to ask about permit availability and trail conditions at grca_bic@nps.gov.

On the rim, I vastly prefer staying in the Park over Tusayan. Call Xanterra as cancellations don't always make it back onto their website. They're doing renovations at El Tovar right now and are offering discounted rates. For budget accommodations, you can't beat the location of the Bright Angel Lodge rooms. For a splurge, my favorite are the Bright Angel Rim Cabins (some have fireplaces, too.)

For something more "luxe", Sedona might be an option. Much more touristy but good dayhikes and lots of nice restaurants and nice accommodations to choose from.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
Loading...