Where can I buy titanium to make my own pots, stoves, or windscreens?
Topic
Where do I buy Titanium?
Become a member to post in the forums.
- This topic is empty.
If you want Ti Foil, go to TiGoat. I would not suggest trying to make a Ti Pot. Ti is a little tough to work with, as it wants to wrinkle. Toaks probably is the best bargain for Ti Pots. YMMV!
Thanks!
The 'where' is not hard. You can buy a wide range of Titanium from well-known technical companies at a high price, or off-cuts of all sizs from http://www.titaniumjoe.com at a more reasonable price. I have bought a lot from Joe.
Foil is harder, but you may be able to buy this from one of the places OP mentioned.
Windscreens need a solid foil, but what is normally avvaialble may be a shade light. Opinions differ. Try some and see.
Stoves – Titanium Joe can supply most any stuff you need. 6Al4V is hard and will not bend cold. CP can be bent. Machining is a long learning curve. Joining is an even longer learning curve.
Pots – FORGET it! You need carbide-faced drawing dies. This is so expensive to set up that there are only one or two companies in the world doing it.
Good Luck!
Cheers
You can buy titanium rods, tubing, and foil/sheet from http://www.titaniumjoe.com. They're based in Ontario, so your credit card might add a surcharge for the currency exchange. I've had good luck dealing with them. Sometimes I have to clean their rod a bit with alcohol to remove minor smudges. The foil from Ti Goat is high quality and clean.
Edit–damn, that Aussie is quick!
I go through a fair amount of titanium. Pristine sheets fresh from a mill are quite expensive, hence the interest in titanium joe's better prices for "pre-owned ti".
@jeremy – the first ti sheets I ever bought were some small pieces I found on eBay. Used these to make my first cathole trowels (the original "Originals") and a few other odds and ends including a small woodburning stove (that later became the prototype for the FireFly). Worth keeping an eye on if you just want to mess around with ti. Other than Titanium Goat, I don't know of other ti foil sources in the small quantities you might want for DIY projects.
Thanks for the tip about Joe.
I had good luck getting the right sized rods from alphaknifesupply.com
Now I understand better the whole knife cult thing in Tom Wood's novels.
Correction: The knife fetish novelist is David Morrell, not Tom Wood. Tom only provides what you need to know, and then goes on with the story. Not that "Testament" by David is not a classic. It surely must be.
Become a member to post in the forums.

