Topic

Any recommendations for internal frame backpack for packraft?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Any recommendations for internal frame backpack for packraft?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Miquel Casas
    Spectator

@mcbbcn-2

Hi,

Does anybody has any experience attaching a packraft to an internal frame backpack? What kind of internal frame backpack could you recommend? Or would it be better to go with a external frame in this instance…?

Thank you,

Miquel

Luke Schmidt
    BPL Member

@cameron

Locale: Alaska

I'm not into packrafting yet but I've seen lots of guys here using internal frame packs, no reason to get an external. The big question is whether your pack has the room and can support the extra 10 pounds or so of packrafting gear.

Miquel Casas
    Spectator

@mcbbcn-2

Thanks for your reply. I'm thinking for a 5-6 days hike-through, so it would have to be able to carry the big 3…I was thinking some kind of internal frame backpack that you can attach the packraft outside…so I can keep wet & dry spaces…

Also, would you suggest to put the packraft at the top or the bottom of the backpack? What would be more comfortable?

Thank you.

Miquel

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

ULA makes the Epic and Catalyst, which are good packs. The Epic is a frame and it carries dry bags so it's good for keeping your stuff dry but it doesn't carry as well as regular internal framed packs. The Catalyst carries better and ULA will add straps on the bottom for a raft for a small charge. That's what I use.

A lot of people also like the HMG packs, as they're a waterproof materials so they don't take on much water weight.

I prefer to carry my boat at the bottom, whether inside my pack or out.

Miquel Casas
    Spectator

@mcbbcn-2

Thanks a lot Dan. It helps me narrow down the options.

And I agree with you about rolling the boat outside the pack.

Miguel

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Locale: Queen City, MT

Fold raft like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1knHmqDrPeM

Put it into the very bottom of your pack against your back. Keeping the raft safe from pokies is a good idea. Rolling the boat takes up more space as well. No downside to stowing the boat deep as you'll be doing a complete gear reshuffle from hike-boat anyway.

Miquel Casas
    Spectator

@mcbbcn-2

Hi David,

Good video! If you just took the boat out of the water or it's raining, wouldn't you want to keep the wet boat on the outside part of the backpack? Also, I was thinking, I would probably be using the old trash-compactor bag (AKA light-weight liner), so I can take all the stuff out without getting everything wet, and I can put the boat at the bottom, but it'll still be a wet boat, right? I'm just wondering, if it wouldn't be better to keep a dry space and a wet space…

Thanks for your help,

Miquel

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Locale: Queen City, MT

Two part answer:

If it's not raining I try to let my boat dry for 5-10 minutes while I eat and organize stuff. If it's partly sunny you should have a 90% dry boat by then. A dry boat weighs less, obviously.

Even if it's wet I still put the boat in my pack. First, my boat is right up there with food in terms of weight/cubic inch, and I want it close to my back. Second, while I prefer a truly waterproof pack fabric to keep the pack from getting too heavy, I don't depend on the pack to keep anything dry. All that stuff is in dry bags anyway, so putting a wet boat next to a wet tarp and a sleeping bag in a drysack is no problem. I always put a few small grommets in the bottom of my packs so water can drain.

Miquel Casas
    Spectator

@mcbbcn-2

That is what I was missing, that you use dry bags…that is how you create you dry space, and I assume that when you take it out of the water, if you want put it at the bottom of your backpack, then you have to take everything inside the main pocket out, and then, put the boat the at bottom. I assume that you choose to put it at the bottom for some kind of weight/arrangement logic.

Thanks for your help,

Miguel

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools