Topic

Satellite Phone recs

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Satellite Phone recs

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Brendan Murphy
    BPL Member

@mbmurphy777

Anyone have any recs for satellite phone rentals from any particular company? There are several online available for reasonable rates… has anyone tried any of them?

I plan on going into the N. Cascades area in August and my wife is insisting that I take one, just in case.

Craig Shelley

@craig_shelley

Locale: Rocky Mountains

I have a GlobalStar phone. I don't really like it. You need an exceptionally clear sky to get reception most of the time (nearly 180 deg totally open view). I bought it last December to try out, mainly so I could keep my wife aware of changes to my plans on-the-fly. It is somewhat useful for that, as cell phone coverage is poor in southern Utah, where I'm frequently going for my outside adventures.

It won't be practical for your wife to call you. The antenna needs to be out and the phone on. She could SMS message you for free. Then you return the call. However, there is a huge chance that you won't be able to call her on a daily basis and she may then just worry more.

I believe a PLB is a better choice overall to decrease your wife's concerns than a satellite phone.

In the Colorado Rockies, at the top of peaks, you can almost aways get cell phone reception. I don't know about the Cascades.

Craig

Mike Barney

@eaglemb

Locale: AZ, the Great Southwest!

If you're going to rent a phone for the trip, then it's probably going to be a function of what is available.

One question you need to address is how often do you plan on calling? If you're only going to use this for an emergency, then you may not need spare batteries. On the other hand, most of these phones draw a fair amount of current, and don't last that long, particularly if you're going to be gone for more than a week.
    You could carry spare batteries, or a solar charger, which can be very light, just a few ounces. I like the solar charger option.

I have an Iridum phone, and it works reasonably well, lighter would be nicer, but it's a good option. You can call for help, early pickup, or just status or say hi. You can accept incoming phone calls without burning the batteries by setting a predetermined time to turn it on for say 10 minutes.

One nice thing about all of the LEO, Low Earth Orbit satellite systems is that in a deep canyon or other obstructed area, you can typically at least get a quick call out, where with the Geosynchronous satellites, you can be out of luck.

Per the comment about using a PLB /EPIRB, these also work well in a real emergency, and typically are lighter than sat phones. There is no middle ground activating one of these beacons: If you really need it, then activate it. If you're anything from homesick or want a different pickup, it is of no use to you. The beacons only send a message of where your at and that you need immediate help.

One other note: You need to get the direct phone number for the local rescue / fire /ems / police for the particular area(s) that you would be in, as 911 from a satellite phone may not get you who you think you're going to call (or anywhere at all). If you call 911 and asking them what their direct dial number will probally only yield a 'what?' / 'just dial 911' response. In most places, there is a non-emergency number that is a direct dial number that gets you to the same call center.

Hope that helps,
    MikeB

Craig Shelley

@craig_shelley

Locale: Rocky Mountains

As Mike said, a PLB is not the same, but from the perspective of satisfying a worried wife, it can be a big step toward addressing the same need.

Craig

Brendan Murphy
    BPL Member

@mbmurphy777

Thanks for the advice.

Any particular PLB recommended?

Now she wants me to get both. LOL

Mike Barney

@eaglemb

Locale: AZ, the Great Southwest!

Here's the problem: Compact PLB's are so new, that very few people have actually used them successfully. Further, there are virtually -0- options to test them, as bells go off and lights flash when one of these gets activated.
    The good news is they're all about a pound or less, and run for 1 to 2 days in non freezing weather.

The best suggestion I can offer is to Google / Dogpile PLB comparisons, throw out the obviously manufactured comparisons and make notes from there.

REI might have someone that has good background with these, but again, very few people have actually used PLB's.

The specs should be a pretty good guide, but the real proof will be in several years after there have been a number of legit deployments.

I hope this helps. I don't own one of these, but at down to 10 oz for solo hiking, they look pretty cool.

MikeB

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

http://www.andrewskurka.com is using the mcmurdo fastfind.

Roleigh Martin
    BPL Member

@marti124

Locale: Founder & Lead Moderator, https://www.facebook.com/groups/SierraNorthPCThikers

I have the McMurdo Fastfind, 11 ounces (with built in GPS). It is waterproof made for falling into the ocean and then using it. I like it's looks and built better than the ACR (I have both). Never needed to use them but carry the McMurdo FastFind for peace of mind–I will not need to ever cut my hand off with one!

Brendan Murphy
    BPL Member

@mbmurphy777

LOL.

Thanks (he probably would have lost that arm anyway though).

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools