Topic

Alternative materials

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Alternative materials

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 26 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

Here is some interesting material from the Daiso store.

The package says that this is Aluminum Cupboard Sheet, 30cm x 5m, which is about one foot by 16 feet. I guess that you are supposed to line the bottoms of your kitchen cabinets.

front surface

back surface

How can I explain this? At first glance, it appears to be similar to Reflectix, except that there are no air bubbles. The front is aluminized, and the back is extremely thin polyethylene foam. I cannot accurately measure the overall thickness, but it is something less than 1mm. With this plastic, it would hold together better than simple aluminum foil, yet it doesn't have enough real insulation to be good for everything. It has to be good for something. The weight for 5m was 3.24 ounces. You could probably attach some favored synthetic insulation to the plastic side.

What do you want for $1.50?

–B.G.–

Daryl and Daryl
    BPL Member

@lyrad1

Locale: Pacific Northwest, USA, Earth

Jerry,

Do you know roughly where the typical closed cell blue foam would fit in your 1/29/14 clo/oz/yd2 post?

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

I think any closed cell foam would be similar to styrofoam in clo/inch – a little better than down or synthetic because the closed cells prevent any internal convection currents.

You'de have to weigh it to get clo/oz/yd2. Easy enough to measure dimensions, use the formula from my 1/29 post.

Daryl and Daryl
    BPL Member

@lyrad1

Locale: Pacific Northwest, USA, Earth

Jerry,

Thanks.

Viewing 4 posts - 26 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools