Topic

Looking for Recomendations for Shorts

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Looking for Recomendations for Shorts

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Marko Botsaris
    BPL Member

@millonas

Locale: Santa Cruz Mountains, CA

Getting ready for spring, or maybe like the blackbirds in my neighborhood I am just confused by all the warm, dry weather here in CA this winter. I'm finally replacing the old modified Patagonia shorts I have been taking backpacking. Thought this would be a no-brainier, but spent the last hour or so searching old post here here and in amazon for something appropriate. The latter is like trying to take a sip out of a fire hose. I'm looking suggestions for (probably Nylon) shorts with a low profile waistband. If I had to take a guess they would be in the running shorts" category.

USES:

I will use these as possible underwear substitutes when hiking, to wear when I want to wash/dry my pants, for dips in a lake when some modesty is required, occasionally for hiking, and sometimes when sleeping. They are in my "auxiliary" category, they are used for many thing but not constantly.

DESIRED FEATURES:

Low profile waistband, quick drying, usable as underwear, and light and packable are very important.

Pockets are not required. No belt loops. Liner not required – unless precedent is violated, I will most likely cut out the liner.

hwc 1954

@wcollings

You just want lightweight running shorts. Paper thin nylon. Elastic waist. Some have pockets, some don't — maybe an inside pocket for a car key or credit card. They weigh nothing.

Rather than point you to some $$$ option, all of the running companies (Nike, Adidas, Brooks, New Balance, and on and on) make them in various lengths (3 inch, 5 inch, 7 inch, etc). This is the kind of thing you can easily pick up at the discount outlets (TJMAXX, Marshalls, etc.) — despite the current trend in men's shorts for mid-calf capri length. From what you describe, the 5} version should be fine — about the length of boxer shorts.

Most will have liners, which you could cut out if you like, although it's probably not necessary.

Brooks Essential Run Short

Ben Smith

@bsmith_90

Locale: Epping Forest

I like to run so my hiking shorts do double duty.

I really love my Haglofs "Intense" shorts (great colour choices) but I find them a little short to hike in so I have a pair of Pearl Izumi "Elite Infinity LD" which are perfect for fair weather hiking. Both have a really comfy liner so no need for underwear and the Pearl Izumi shorts have lots of little pockets perfect for trail snacks!

Both were bought from flash sale websites for less than half of their retail price – not sure I'd pay full price for them. … saying that, I'm not sure I want to pay full price for anything.

Christopher Yi
    Spectator

@traumahead

Locale: Cen Cal

Patagonia Baggies? Or like hwc, pretty much any running shorts.

Trace Richardson
    BPL Member

@tracedef

Boardshorts! Hurley are my favs. You can go commando in them, they're stretchy and the most comfortable short I've found for surfing, yoga, muay thai, jiu jitsu, backpacking, running, etc. … I do everything in board shorts.

jscott
    BPL Member

@book

Locale: Northern California

REI in Berkeley has black nylon "travel" underwear that also can be used for swimming and even hiking, although they have the usual male design in the front; you just have to be careful around others for modesty's sake. I wear them as underwear when backpacking because after being washed they dry so quickly–in an hour or so usually. But I would definitely hike in these alone while my pants dried from a wash. Although I usually just wear my nylon pants wet and let them dry that way.

Marko Botsaris
    BPL Member

@millonas

Thanks folks for all the suggestions.

I learned many things, including that there are some freaking expensive running shorts out there!

I ordered a pair of cheapo ones for $14 from amazon, and finally succumbed and also ordered Patagonia Strider shorts for $45. The latter are pretty close to the Patagonia ones I'm replacing (from maybe 8 years ago). Since I'm both a Patagonia fan and a Tolkien fan, these will probably do. ;-)

hwc 1954

@wcollings

I've bought various Nike, Brooks, and addidas running shorts from TJMAXX in the $14 to $16 range. You don't have to pay a fortune for them. I'm partial to the NIKE 7 inch Essential Running Short. A little longer, so they can be worn to the store. Front hand pockets and a zipper wallet pocket on the back, so there's a place for car keys, a wallet, and a phone. Fine for running. Great for working out. I've worn them hiking, although the fabrics are a bit light for wear and tear on rocks and brush. Good all-around super light short.

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

Patagonia Baggie shorts are hiking shorts, swim suits, and suffice around town. You can't kill them or even tear them. A friend sharpened his metal-edged skis so much he shaved his leg in a fall THOUGH his Baggie long pants. Which were undamaged. You do need to replace the elastic in the leg holes of the mesh liner every 30 years, but then they're good to go.

But going UL, I'd also have a pair of Jockey UW in black that looks like bike shorts but is far lighter and quicker drying. And switch between them.

Ito Jakuchu
    BPL Member

@jakuchu

Locale: Japan

I have those Patagonia Strider shorts and love them. I think they changed a bit since, at least the way they look, but they have nothing I don't want or need and not big logo. Cut out the inner.

Marko Botsaris
    BPL Member

@millonas

"Patagonia Baggie shorts are hiking shorts, swim suits"

Definitely. I saw the 8+ oz stat and realized these were more like "real" shorts. Also the belt loops gave it away. Somewhere I got out of wearing shorts, even in the desert. I feel like the 4 oz striders might be ok in a pinch while hiking with tights, but they are definitely a multi-purpose item like gloves that stay in the pack much of the time.

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

Patagonia baggies don't have belt loops, just a draw string. My medium (5" inseam) sans inner weighs 5.4 ounces. The material to tough, tough, tough. The lightest shorts I have ever found are Pargonia Field Shorts at 2.4 ounces. No pockets though, if you need them.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools