Topic

TarpTent Double Rainbow!

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) TarpTent Double Rainbow!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Aaron Catron
    Spectator

@acatron

Locale: Midwest

Just received my new Double Rainbow on Friday and with some nice temps today, I set it up and seam sealed it! Overall impressions are very good. With two people, you will definitely right next to each other, but there is a ton of extra room at the head and feet region. You could easily store your gear at those spots. The vestibules also seem to have plenty of room for gear storage. I'll weigh everything this week sometime. I did pick up the liner and opted for the carbon pole. The tent came with 6 Easton stakes.

I'll use this thread as a place keeper for my opinions on the tent. Probably won't get it out on a trail until March or April.

photo 1_zps09eef254.jpg

photo 2_zpsc79edfde.jpg

photo 3_zps1a78ac4b.jpg

photo 6_zpsf4a7c32a.jpg

photo 5_zpsfcf8859c.jpg

photo 7_zps7882b505.jpg

And E
    Spectator

@lunchandynner

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Edit: pictures work now!

That aside, I love our double rainbow. It's very conformable, quick/easy to set up, and light.

Ours has kept us dry while a thunderstorm rolled directly over us. Sounded like a war zone. The storm caused several mud/rockslides that buried the road we took to the trail in 25+ feet of mud and rock. Had to take a 7hr detour home.

It's rock steady in strong winds. Had it up in 30+ mph winds with trekking pole supports in the vestibule (grommets in the vents) and the thing won't budge.

Aaron Catron
    Spectator

@acatron

Locale: Midwest

Nice! That's good to hear!

Stephen Collins
    BPL Member

@scwcollins

Locale: socal

I liked the Double Rainbow too, though I sold mine to get a lighter tent.

I am considering getting another one because it's the lightest single-wall tent (or tarptent, whatever ya wanna call it) I know of that can be pitched in free-standing mode but also has vestibules. Seems like it could be useful for winter when it's hard to stake things down.

Brian G

@briangreunke

Locale: SoCal

I also just received a new DR and love it! The first night out was rainy (never expeierenced that in SoCal before) with gusty winds. The tent was stable, dry, and comfortable the entire time.

It set up super fast in staked mode and I had plenty of room on the length. I'm about 6'1" and still had room for my pack between my head and the tent wall.

JP
    BPL Member

@jpovs-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2

Locale: Arrowhead

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

For frozen in the ground stakes, give them a nudge with your boot before pulling….

This is for Dan Durston :
    shake baby shake

and that is about how to shake the dirt out of a DR in the morning.
    For this some practice is needed, maybe 5 or 10 seconds if you are new at it.

JP
    BPL Member

@jpovs-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

Thanks Franco :)

Any suggestions for achieving a morning shake out with my SS2?

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Josh your problem is that your temps are too low.
    Move somewhere a bit warmer…

JP
    BPL Member

@jpovs-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Dan,
    this is why you need a DR..
    (or you can just undo a few mitten hooks, detach the inner and turn it inside out. works well when the fly is wet or raining outside)

Josh
    Cold cold is good ; we get a lot of around freezing cold, cold and wet, that is no good.

Aaron,
    just finished seam sealing a DR for a couple that looks as happy as you two…
    make sure when you set it up to place the pole ends into position, they can snag sideways otherwise (more cosmetic than anything else. Photo N5)
    TT DR
    The other common reason for the main pole twisting is having too much tension there.
    You will see that even on some official TT photos and some of my early attempts… (2006…)

zorobabel frankenstein
    BPL Member

@zorobabel

Locale: SoCal

Franco, do you have all the Tarptents setup in you backyard, and just run to them, do a stunt, take a photo and then post? :))
    Thanks for all the photos you've posted over the years.

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

This particular DR is there because I just seam sealed it.
    Often I do set one up to take a photo and then put it away again, but that is OK I am well looked after by TT.

More photos.
    This is obvious , once you know it .
    To minimise wind ingress you can have one end much lower than the other , like this :DR low end
    DR high end
    easier if you do it setting it up.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools