Topic

REI Flash 62 vs golite jam 50

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
myo tun BPL Member
PostedJan 26, 2014 at 8:21 am

Hello !
I do not know what to choose between flash62 and jam 50?
I am planing to hike in Southeast Asia,country call Myanmar.
It has monsoon season and jungle…plus no mark trail

So anyone please give me suggestion to choosing these two packs.
Or if you have any other pack in your mind feel free to tell me..

Thanks
Tun

PostedJan 26, 2014 at 9:46 am

Depends on what you're doing. How much weight do you plan on carrying? How much volume do you need?

Also, the GoLite Jam is a frameless pack, so it'll handle less weight and you'll have to be more conscious of how you pack it.

That said, I love my GoLite Jam 50. It's very comfortable and carries well. I've cut away the excess strap length, hydration bladder sleeve and modded the compression straps with cords and line locks. Then I added two sections of z-lite Sol (adds more void to the back panel for better ventilation and can use in emergency if sleeping pad pops). It all came in under 1lbs 14oz.

David White BPL Member
PostedJan 26, 2014 at 2:15 pm

As Andy said; it really comes down to how much weight you're carrying. I happen to have both packs. The REI one is fairly new to me so I need a bit more trail time with it to confirm my initial feeling; but I will probably end up selling the Jam.

They're both great packs. The Jam is well designed but has a lower total volume and is frameless. The REI seems to carry more weight with less discomfort (but as always, YMMV). As a point of comparison, my pack weight including food, water, and camera gear tends to hover between 20 and 25 pounds. That weight at the end of the day tends to make my neck and shoulders sore with the Jam.

My thoughts are that if you're carrying less than 20 pounds, either pack should work equally well. More than 20 and I lean to the Flash 62.

Tom Keefe BPL Member
PostedJan 26, 2014 at 3:26 pm

Have you considered an Exped Lightning 60 instead of the REI Flash? Not sure what you were hoping to spend. I went from a Jam to the lightning and never looked back. As one of the previous posters noted the Jam is comfortable in a specific weight range and imo it's not very versatile.

I went to the Lighting to have a good light pack that could also handle winter and alpine climbing gear, as well as enough food for longer trips. After I got it I decided to sell my Jam and use the Lightning for pretty much everything. If you decide to get one make sure you get the faster red color. :)

myo tun BPL Member
PostedJan 28, 2014 at 6:53 pm

Hi all!
First Thank you very much for giving me ideas.
One of the main problem hiking in Myanmar is there will be no resupply or exist after the last village of the northern part of Myanmar there will be no human. place are so remote that not a lot of people been there. So, I must carry for at least 2 weeks worth of food. And also there will be more than 100% humid and if I used water proof pack, moles will grow inside the pack. It is hard decision to make to choose one of those traditional big pack… I really like Exped Lightning 60 pack tho but the price,$289+ is just killing me and it is a bit smaller than Flash 62….and 62 is only 108$ …

myo tun BPL Member
PostedJan 28, 2014 at 6:55 pm

I really like that idea, humm… let me think about it… thank you for that

Phillip Asby BPL Member
PostedJan 29, 2014 at 7:36 am

I have a Flash 65 and it is my main pack (Golite Odyssey 80 is my load hauler for winter outings). I travel as light as I can but with Scouts I have some extra gear (bigger FAK for example to supplement the boys just in case). I love the Flash – no extra unneeded bells and whistles and carries 20-30 pounds pretty easily (my base still hovers around 19 … I know but it's better than when I started!).

I'm not quite there from a frameless pack standpoint – but I do think it makes a difference depending on the weight you're carrying. What you've described sounds like you'll need to carry a good bit of food and water or a rock solid purification system with you – certainly food. Is 62 even going to be big enough?

PostedJan 29, 2014 at 8:42 am

Have you considered the GoLite Quest 65? I have the 2012/2013 model, same as current but different color, and it's great for carrying larger/heavier loads. I like the way the perimeter frame attaches to the hip belt as it transfers the load to the hips/center of body as opposed to pushed against the lumbar.

It's heavier than the Flash, but it's a great all around pack.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
Loading...