Topic

(partial) Farewell to Arms

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
PostedJan 25, 2014 at 10:50 am

My back feels better hiking with a backpack than without one. There are probably several reasons for this. One of the reasons occurred to me as I was walking home from Safeway today with about 35 lbs of essential groceries (granola + beer).

I typically rest my arms on the front bag or hang them from webbing attached to the top corners of the pack frame. So part of my arm weight is transferred to my waist (through the frame), thereby taking some load off my spine. Most of the pack weight and its contents are also transferred to my waist. (The shoulder straps attach to the frame above my shoulders and don't touch my shoulder tops.)

Here are some photos of a typical senior athlete to illustrate. (for size reference there is a 30 pack of 12 ounce Natty Light Beer in the back and 3 two pound boxes of Northern Gold Granola in the front.) Pack is of the myog variety.

x

x

x

x

Next challenge will be to transfer the weight of my heavy bulbous head to my waist.

PostedJan 25, 2014 at 11:07 am

Doesn't feel awkward or unnatural to not swing your arms whilst you walk? Well, i guess i can relate some. On the Camino in Spain, i earned a rep for being known as the grocery bag guy, cause so often i was seen carrying same with my arms (because my pack was neither large, nor comfortable enough). But, would have preferred having my arms free.

In any case, sounds like it works great for you, and i can see where it would take some of the weight off the spine. I take it you don't use hiking poles or the like?

PostedJan 25, 2014 at 11:22 am

Just.

It feels more natural for me to not swing my arms. I may be a bit unusual in this regard so this technique wouldn't work for some/most others.

I've tried poles but don't like them after about a minute of use.

There is a bit of back and forth shoulder movement that occurs as I walk.

My T-Rex style of walking also allows me to use a wide backpack because I don't need to swing my arms behind me.

I also hang my arms from webbing when using cardio equipment at the gym (stairmaster, treadmill, elliptical trainer, etc.)

I'm a bit of a hunch back so the arms I selected tend to hang toward the front of my body. I think this puts a bit of a strain on my back. Having an arm couch in front of me allows the arms to nap while I'm walking.

Todd T BPL Member
PostedJan 25, 2014 at 11:31 am

Trekking poles give similar benefits, and a whole lot more.

Marko Botsaris BPL Member
PostedJan 25, 2014 at 11:55 am

I know some pack companies (ULA comes to mind) have on occasion advertize hand loops, and I have even seen a video or two extolling this method, so it isn't weird. I suppose the flip side is I should probably consider how much my addiction to trekking poles may be due to giving my hands something to do. :-)

When I ran cross country in high school, weirdly, I felt like I had a hard time with where I held my arms, as I would get pains in my shoulder muscles if I "did it wrong". Strange that doing it "wrong" could even be a thing, but I thought so at the time.

Roger Caffin BPL Member
PostedJan 25, 2014 at 5:38 pm

> Doesn't [it] feel awkward or unnatural to not swing your arms whilst you walk?
Nope.
In fact, I often have my thumbs hooked into loops on the top adjuster straps. That seems to take some load off my shoulders and give me better balance.

Cheers

PostedJan 25, 2014 at 6:55 pm

Totally off topic, but I just wanted to say I love that you have a 30 rack of natty light in the backpack. Haven't had that stuff since college.

PostedJan 25, 2014 at 7:21 pm

Jerry,

On one backpack trip my sister's Italian Greyhound (Enzo) needed a lift. He rode quite comfortably on top of the front bag. I really enjoyed having him there. We could walk nose-to-nose. Very cute dog.

PostedJan 27, 2014 at 6:17 pm

"Next challenge will be to transfer the weight of my heavy bulbous head to my waist."

People tell me they think I've got my head buried up my arse most of the time, so perhaps that's an idea for the weight transfer you seek…..

PostedJan 27, 2014 at 6:38 pm

Ok, I agree to be the straight man and you can provide the punch lines from now on.

You are much better at it than I!

Ito Jakuchu BPL Member
PostedJan 27, 2014 at 11:22 pm

Nice MYOG.

For reference, see also Aarn body packs. Front pockets/packs swing freely and are carried on the hip only (through small stays in each pocket if I remember correctly).
http://www.aarnusa.com

aarn bodypacks

Roger Caffin BPL Member
PostedJan 28, 2014 at 1:35 am

These seem like a good idea, but they also seem to need a body over 6' high to actually work. I am not that high.
Even so, you can't see your feet and the front pockets are problematic (to say the least) in scrub.
Getting gear in and out of the tall thin body is … difficult.

Cheers

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
Loading...