Topic

Zebralight

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Zebralight

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    Mike W
    BPL Member

@skopeo

Locale: British Columbia

I've been watching Zebralights website lately and am completely puzzled at how these guys stay in business. They currently have 15 headlights and 7 flashlights listed on their website but not one is available for order… they have no stock!!

I like Zebralight, and own a couple of their lights but how can they not carry stock of the items they advertise? I've been waiting for a specific headlight to become available since December and about a week ago it became available (it was the only headlight that became available out of the 15 headlights on their website). So I ordered mine and it's in the mail but they were once again sold out almost immediately (they we in stock for 5 days).

Anybody have any insight on how these guys run their business? Pretty strange business model from what I've seen.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

This company probably has 100% of its stock coming from a single factory in China. This is what happens when there is some major problem at that factory. This is especially tricky when they have some new product coming out soon. They want to keep the buying focus on the new one, so they let the older products run out.

This is what happens when you have a very narrow product line.

–B.G.–

IVO K
    BPL Member

@joylesshusband

Locale: PA lately

You do not have the full picture of their business model. Neither do I, but their web site is not the only game in town.

They sell via (online) retailers as well, and most of the retailers are fully stocked with the latest models.
    I bought a few H52w 2 weeks ago from a retail outfit, at approx. 20% discount vs. paying full price @ zebralight.com and waiting…

Brian Johns
    BPL Member

@bcutlerj

Locale: NorCal

Has stock and they have a coupon code that gets the H52 down to arond $54.

Steve B
    BPL Member

@geokite

Locale: Southern California

Yes, other online retailers sell their lights. In the past month, I picked up a H52 for night hiking, and a H600 and H600F for mountain biking.

I really like their lights. The beam pattern is really good with a smooth, even hot spot. The floody is in the mail.

Steve

Steven Diogenes
    Spectator

@stevenn

Any idea what the 0.01 Lm setting is for? You definitely can't read with that…

IVO K
    BPL Member

@joylesshusband

Locale: PA lately

"Any idea what the 0.01 Lm setting is for? You definitely can't read with that…"

No purpose whatsoever. They just chose to toot it as a "feature" since the circuitry utilized allows for that low setting.
    The only way to extract value out of 0.01 lm is when you want to make yourself distinctive from a "black hole"…. which absorbs everything, while you would emit "something".
    I suspect one could appreciate 0.01 lm deep in a cave or a tunnel, which is not where zebralight customers tend to spend any of their time.

Mike W
    BPL Member

@skopeo

I used the .01 lm light on my last trip. When I went to bed I left the light "on" so that I could more easily find it in the dark. It worked OK but I had to make sure the light was propped up facing the right direction. Honestly, not needed as I always know where my light is anyway… Just a geek thing… I just wanted to see if I could figure out a use for the .01 lm setting.

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

Most of the Zebralights are actually available with only a modest delay.

Zebralight endeavours – albeit poorly – to keep their lights in stock. When they are out of stock, or "backordered" all that it really means it that the lights ships to you directly from the factory instead of thru the Zebralight offices. For example, on January 6 I ordered a backordered H52 and it shipped 10 days later from China to me directly. Obviously that's not ideal, but for the most part you can order stuff when it's out of stock and you'll still get it quicker than you will gear from quite a few cottage makers.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I bought mine from illuminationsupply.com with a 10% discount code they had posted on their main page, this was a couple months ago so not sure the code still works but it was "Zebrastripes" I believe. Might want to check them out for available stock though, they are an authorized retailer and ship fast.

Steven McAllister
    BPL Member

@brooklynkayak

Locale: Arizona, US

I bought mine before they really had any dealers and so purchased from their website.

It took two weeks to get and was shipped from China.

I never regretted it. The best light I've ever used for backpacking.

Mike W
    BPL Member

@skopeo

You can use "zebrastripes" discount code at illuminationsupply.com to get a good discount.

I checked out illuminationsupply.com when I was looking for my most recent light but because I'm in Canada, the shipping and duty makes it a worse deal than ordering directly from Zebralight (even with the discount code). Zebra light ships international orders from China with free shipping and there is no additional charges for duty or taxes at the door.

As a side note, it's interesting to see how many BPL'ers have purchased the H52. I have one as well and have been very pleased with it. I particularly like the fact that it can use AA's or 14500 batteries. At home I use the 14500's and on the trail I use lithium AA's.

I'd be interested in hearing why others have chosen the H52 and how you like it.

Edited to correct coupon code.

Owen McMurrey
    Spectator

@owenm

Locale: SE US

"I'd be interested in hearing why others have chosen the H52 and how you like it."

I bought the H52Fw because I wanted to switch to strictly AA batteries, a beam that made better use of its lumens than the pure flood of the older H30w that I continued to use, and a more efficient emitter. The H52Fw has the best combination of features, beam, and tint that I know of for my use, so I put aside my doubts based on past failures due to water ingress and UI faults, and got one. The SC52w I just bought to go with it, but it is a wonderful light.

The floody models are excellent for everything from close use to trail hiking, with a broad beam evenly fading from a wide center, while the regular models without diffusing film give a brighter spot with more reach that is still very large, and maintain very bright spill. I'm fond of saying that the floody models are better if you're looking FOR something, while the undiffused beam is better for looking AT something. Together, I think they make an excellent combination for use in the woods.

These new models are of different construction than the ones that I have had fail. I don't know if they are susceptible to the same problems, and it's quite possible they are not. My trust is not easily regained, however. I won't submerge them, will keep the headlamp under the hood of my rain jacket if hiking in the rain, and hopefully will continue to enjoy them for years to come.

Tad Englund
    BPL Member

@bestbuilder

Locale: Pacific Northwest

The "zebralight" didnn't work for me at Illuminationsupply.com. Maybe because it was backordered?

Mike W
    BPL Member

@skopeo

OOPS, My Bad!! I went by memory, which at my age is a losing proposition.

The code is actually "zebrastripes" when ordering at Illuminationsupplies.com

I've corrected it in my post above as well.

Sorry!

Steven Diogenes
    Spectator

@stevenn

I have the H52F. The low level light is perfect for reading (the highest of the three lows). With 9 or 10 (can't remember) different lm settings, you can customize it for your sweet spot. It throws as far as my friend's mid-quality lamp, while also lighting up much more area. I appreciate that it runs on one AA and lithiums I believe are 10g less than normal AAs. I like it :)

Steve B
    BPL Member

@geokite

Locale: Southern California

I choose the H52 because it can hook onto your belt and illuminate the trail from waist level. Better shadows, and your breath doesn't obstruct your vision. The light doesn't have to be right in front, as the light can twist on the clip. You could have multiple lights, like one on either side of your waist.

Steve

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

Having caved a lot in a past life, I'd use a 0.01 lumen mode as a survey point as my surveyor partner got a bearing and azimuth doing a foresight and then I'd look in the reverse direction and hope to see a very dim light while shooting a backsight.

Cavers like to use bright lights, but they hate to look at bright lights.

Phillip Asby
    BPL Member

@pgasby

Locale: North Carolina

As to the OP's question regarding inventory it isn't just Zebralight. Check out the HDS systems threads on candlepowerforums for tales of people waiting months for their HDS lights – and HDS/Henry are about as well respected in the light community as you can get (and all US made …).

I do hope they get their new inventory moving along however. I'd like to get a flood version (wish I'd gotten an H31F before they sold out…)

Ken Larson
    BPL Member

@kenlarson

Locale: Western Michigan

Looking for a Zebralight with shipping within 8 hrs?

GO HERE

Put the code: BPL10 in the order form and receive a 10% discount.

Free Shipping.

hwc 1954

@wcollings

Why did I get an H52?

I've been using 4 Sevens Quark XML AA flashlights for a while and have been very impressed by their performance. I have a pile of eneloops and good charger options. The H52 gave me the same XML performance in a headlamp.

1) It's capable of being much brighter than the Petzl Tikka it replaced when needed.

2) It's easier to adjust the aim up and down than the Petzl – just rotate it in the holder.

3) It eliminates needing to carry a backup set of AAAs (for the Petzel) in addition to a set of AAs (for a Quark and/or GPS).

I've been very happy with the H52. I try not to use it for hiking, but I wear it constantly when camping. I have the regular spot beam. It lights up plenty to the sides. I'd rather have the longer throw than the floody beam.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools