Topic

women wearing skirts

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Administration & Support Website & Forum Support women wearing skirts

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    victoria maki
    BPL Member

@energizer

Locale: Northern Minnesota

I posted this in gear, but all I got was guys commenting. They were all good comments, but was hoping to hear from some females on this:
    I live in northern Minnesota and would never consider wearing a skirt hiking. I will be hiking the JMT for the third time and know the terrain of the trail. Not much brush. Do any of you women, or for that matter men (Kilts?), wear skirts when hiking? I can see a few advantages and a few disadvantages.
    Advantages: cooler hiking when it's 100 degrees in the shade and easier to eliminate
    Disadvantages: sunburned legs, if it's cold I would have to wear some kind of leggings, and big winds making me look like Marilyn Monroe in the movie…Ok, maybe not quite like MM…;-)
    Advice or comments?

Valerie E
    Spectator

@wildtowner

Locale: Grand Canyon State

I don't wear skirts to hike (except my ultra-feminine MYOG cuben rain skirt, of course), and I VERY rarely see other women on the trails in skirts, even though I live in a very warm climate.

That said, Anish (the current speed record holder for unsupported PCT thru-hike) wore thrift store dresses for most of her hike, so who am I to poo-poo that?

The JMT is one of the least brushy trails — ever. But it's very often windy there, sunburn is a big factor, and most people do the JMT during bug season!

I did a section of the JMT last August, and wore shorts for most of my hiking. I prefer to be able to just flop down for a rest without worrying about flashing people (there's enough opportunity to flash when you're trying to wash yourself, LOL). Sunburn is a real concern, though, because so much of the trail is above 9,000ft, and long stretches are above tree line…which means the winds are pretty strong, too.

Long story short, I say "do it" if it's your fashion preference, but I'm not convinced that there are any real advantages to it (clothing weight, sunburn, modesty, elimination, etc.).

Desert Dweller

@drusilla

Locale: Wild Wild West

Val and I live in the same state and because it is so hot sometimes I will wear a hiking skirt if I know I'm just going to be on a trail. I usually wear a light running tight under it for sun protection. But since our area is so fraught with mesquite, cactus, white thorn, cat claw and other plants that like to take a chunk of you off or leave a chunk of themselves in you, and I am frequently bushwhacking I wear pants that don't catch like the REI Sahara pant that is made for hot weather.
    The Macabi skirt is kind of nice cause you can make it shorter or into harem pants. The material is made for hot climates. No flashing with that one! I love the Ibex Izzy and wear it all winter everywhere I'm not bushwhacking. For a longer skirt for hiking the Travelsmith safari type skirt is good, but it has buttons down the front which I sew shut. The older versions of that skirt you can occasionally find on ebay are nicer than the new ones.
    Id like to try the REI Fleet Skapris a skirt with capri pants but since I am five foot ten most women's stuff is too small, like every thing else made for tiny women….and it always seems to come in XXS instead of a large.
    Hope this helps!

victoria maki
    BPL Member

@energizer

Thanks Val, Anna, Sumi, and Drusilla for the advice. I did get some pretty funny comments from a few of the guys.

Desert Dweller

@drusilla

Locale: Wild Wild West

You are welcome, have a great hike no matter what you are wearing!:-)

Dave T

@davet

this is for Web Site issues.

victoria maki
    BPL Member

@crazyhikerlady

Sorry. I am new to the site.

Elisa Umpierre
    BPL Member

@eliump

Locale: Midwest

I'm from MN too. I like wearing a skirt hiking and I'm not an overly "girlie-girl." I find them to be very light weight, non-restricting and can easily start off in the morning wearing my rain pants or tights beneath the skirt for warmth. If you feel good in a skirt, go for it!

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

Every year I end up with a new skirt and then rarely wear it. I don't know…I end up wearing shorts under so I am hotter in the end. Some of my hiking skirts have built in shorts.

victoria maki
    BPL Member

@energizer

Thanks Elisa and Sarah for your input. I am still weighing the pros and cons. I guess we are not suppose to post this type of discussion in this forum. I got a comment about it. I am new to posting…..

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools