Topic

Silnylon source

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
PostedJan 23, 2014 at 4:37 am

I'm interested in starting a pyramid tarp project and am looking for advice on a good source for silnylon. Is the Thru-hiker shield silnylon still considered to be head and shoulders above others, or is there a another distributor (Quest, DIY, etc.) that comes close in terms of HH and reduced sagging (this is based more on speculation and a few comments that I've seen on here).

In the past, I've ordered silnylon from Montana software on ebay – per foot – for small projects, but this seemed significantly less durable – it has that shiny slippery, thin feel as opposed to the thicker waxy feel of silnylon from MLD. I am not considering this as a source for my pyramid.

Lightheart gear sells silnylon for instance, but not the 3000 HH silnylon that they use for as their primary fabric for shelters. At this point, I'm considering Oware as a source, but have no personal experience with the sil they use.

Any thoughts or advice would be welcome and very much appreciated. Thanks!

Ben Wortman BPL Member
PostedJan 23, 2014 at 6:28 am

Sometimes Oware has seconds that they sell for $2.50 a yard. You have to call to get it though.

Jerry Adams BPL Member
PostedJan 23, 2014 at 7:53 am

You need the Shield from thru-hiker for a floor or pack that has to be waterproof.

I use 2nds silnylon for tents without problem. Rarely, there is some "misting" during heavy rain. But the amount of water that gets through is insignificant. You can feel a tiny amount of mist on your skin. When I feel my sleeping bag or whatever underneath, I can feel no wetness. On all tents, you sometimes get condensation, which produces a lot more water for you to contend with than any misting.

Pyramid has steep walls so tends to repel water better.

PostedJan 23, 2014 at 8:04 am

Thank Jerry,

I'll be using your pyramid instructions for guidance. I had noticed in other threads that you recommended 2nds for a pyramid for the reasons you just mentioned. Since it will be my first attempt, this is probably the best route to go. Thanks!

Ben, thanks for the oware suggestion. I noticed that deal on the forum a few weeks ago and am pretty sure I missed out on it. 2.50 a yard would be great.

Jerry Adams BPL Member
PostedJan 23, 2014 at 8:11 am

Great! I get more comments about that article.

More recently, I've just hemmed the fabric on both sides of the zipper, then sewed it to the zipper. Easier than what I said in article. And run the zipper all the way to the top and have the top reinforcing cirle cover the top of the zipper – cleaner appearance and opening all the way produces more ventilation.

I'de update article if I could : )

PostedJan 23, 2014 at 12:17 pm

That sounds good and I may do it that way – it certainly sounds easier. Thanks again. I will definitely post results and provide any feedback I can.

PostedJan 24, 2014 at 6:40 pm

Jacob,
I've looked and looked, and not found better then the T-H sil. Judy did have camo sil in 3000mm HH on her site, and was willing to sell me some in medium gray which held up well in heavy all night rain as a tent floor. I would choose the T-H though, because it has been HH tested by Richard Nisley, with the results posted on this site.

It may be that some of the sil recently becoming available from cottage suppliers could be as good, but I don't have the time or money to order and test every new sil fabric listing on the web. Roger Caffin has suggested that EPA regs have limited the HH on sil coated in the US, and all the evidence suggests he is right, although I've no idea where T-H's sil is coated.

I did find that the T-H sil sagged a little less than others, which stands to reason since the better coating is better at keeping moisture out of the nylon. I've no data on the Ray Jardine sil which is claimed to be superior, but so are some others who don't provide any HH data.

If money is no object, you can PM me with an email address for reply, and I might have some more suggestions, depending on what colors and weights you want. I still haven't found the nice light green sil that I've been looking for with 3000mm HH or better.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
Loading...