Topic

Comparing Shoes — Go for a day hike with one on each foot?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Comparing Shoes — Go for a day hike with one on each foot?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Mitchell Ebbott
    Spectator

@mebbott-2

Locale: SoCal

It sounds ridiculous, but the more I think about it the less I see against it. I've picked up two pairs of trail runners recently (New Balance 876 and Salomon XA 3D Pro Ultra 2) and want to figure out which pair to keep. Should I just go for a hike with one on each foot and see how each one feels at the end? Someone please talk me out of this.

Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA

"Someone please talk me out of this."

You will look ridiculous. Don't do it.

Luke Schmidt
    BPL Member

@cameron

Locale: Alaska

Don't do it. The shoes may have different "stack heights' (i.e. the soles have different thicknesses). If each foot is different your walking will be off in weird ways and you could be very uncomfortable. You need to try each pair out individually, ideally in the house. Hopefully one pair will be more comfortable then the other and you'll know which to keep and which to return.

spelt with a t
    BPL Member

@spelt

Locale: Rangeley, ME

What Luke said. If you're really interested in a "side-by-side" take both pairs on a hike and switch midway. Or do the same hike with both on different days.

Joe Geib
    BPL Member

@joegeib

Locale: Delaware & Lehigh Valleys

wear one matching pair on the way in, and the other on the way out. Buy from REI so you can return the rented equipment you didn't like.

Delmar O’Donnell

@bolster

Locale: Between Jacinto & Gorgonio

A different shoe (or sock combination) on each foot is EXACTLY how I do it. This is the equivalent of a scientist using a control group in an experiment. Yes, you need to switch your "control group" around occasionally; the experimental foot becomes the control foot and vice versa. I would not recommend one pair on the way in (when your feet are fresh, say you're mostly climbing) and the other on the way out (when tired, trail going down). Too many variables interfering. You need to switch back and forth several times during your trip to average across variables (such as tiredness, slope, etc). So yes, you'll have to take both pairs with you and carry the unused ones. A minor sacrifice on the altar of science.

I've never had this method throw my pace off or give me troubles. Just the opposite, it helps me prevent troubles. You can really hone in on relatively minor differences this way. When you find an improved set of sock/shoe, that becomes your new baseline, and your new control for the next experiment.

Who cares what it looks like. Science isn't fashionable.

Delmar O’Donnell

@bolster

One more comment. If you need to keep the shoes looking pretty (so you can return a pair, and you don't have a lenient seller like REI), then take the shoes to the gym and do the elliptical or treadmill. A new shoe should be able to go for at least 45 minutes.

I have an elliptical at home and wore one pair of new shoes–which were very comfy, I thought! based on walking around on the carpet–but they could only make 20 minutes on the elliptical before discomfort set in. Returning them was easy because the shoes were extremely clean. I found another pair that could make a 45-min workout on the first try, in comfort. I kept them and they've turned out well.

No, an exercise machine isn't the same as a trail. But if you need a "clean test drive," an exercise machine is certainly better than walking around the house with new shoes, which tells you not much at all.

. Kirby
    Spectator

@kirby805

Came here to say that I hate buying new shoes sooooo much. My feet are so picky it drives me insane.

Woubeir (from Europe)
    BPL Member

@woubeir

Well, it depends. Are both your feet the same ?

Delmar O’Donnell

@bolster

That's a good point, actually. If one of your legs is shorter than the other (which is quite common) you may find your greatest comfort when you have a taller sole (or thicker sock, or insert, or orthotic, etc) under your shorter leg! One more good reason to experiment with your control-foot against your experimental-foot.

Woubeir (from Europe)
    BPL Member

@woubeir

And not only different leg length but also differences in foot shape and/or size.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools