Topic

Backpacks w/ external pad sleeve

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
PostedJan 22, 2014 at 8:48 pm

I'm contemplating a new pack purchase to downsize from my current 70L internal frame backpack, in order to save weight and space. I'm a hiker but don't do much in the way of extended backcountry trips and don't climb, venture much above 3000m, or go out much in cold/bad weather, so I don't need a ton of space for food or technical gear. I do however do a lot of extended trips walking/hiking/hitchhiking/generally traveling in anywhere from urban to rural areas, which often involves camping. I do this with a bivy bag (bought from skyzo here a couple years ago and works great), and a way too heavy and bulky sleeping bag which will hopefully also be replaced with a down bag (been looking at the kelty cosmic down bags). Had a Big Agnes aircore pad but it has too many holes for me to repair, so I'm going to replace it, probably with a CCF pad.

Anyway, I'm looking for a lightweight bag for travel/hiking, and I like the concept of using a sleeping pad as a frame. I've been looking at the Gossamer Gear G4, but I'm concerned it might be a bit big for what I need. I'd love to keep it around carry-on size (50x40x20cm ~ 22x16x8in), not even so much for airplanes as to reduce general bulkiness. I've also been looking at the OMM Classic 32, but that has the opposite problem (seems a bit small, my 27L daypack is almost as big). The GG Murmur has also gotten some thought, but also might be a bit on the small side. Of course, maybe I should take up the challenge of fitting what I need into these packs…

I'd also like to keep the pad in an external sleeve, hence the backpacks mentioned. I'm thinking a Z-lite pad since I've used it and liked it, but would love any other suggestions. For all of this I'd like to keep costs down (student budget), but I think more in terms of value for money rather than a hard price tag (so I'll spring for something more expensive if I feel it's well worth it).

So the main questions: Any packs I've missed? Can someone compare the OMM duomat and GG Nightlight to the Z-lite, or suggest other options? If I don't fill the G4 will it cinch down to a smaller size to reduce bulk? And am I a weenie for thinking 32L isn't enough space?

James Marco BPL Member
PostedJan 23, 2014 at 4:06 am

Yeah, I do this as a regular course.
Feathered Friends has the Luna pad which is a longer version of the NightLite.

The Gorilla has the same pad keeper as the others. It is about a third larger than the Kumo/Murmur(2200ci) at around 3000ci.

Somebody made a pack with a tube on one side for a Z-Rest/or simmilar. I cannot seem to remember who though. Six Moon Designs??

Z-Packs will add pad keepers if you ask for them. But they are not as effective as the fuller GG ones…the pad will buckle.

I have used this type of system in most configurations for many years, though, I often bring a seperate pad for sleeping in lean-too's. The system contains dual use of the pad/frame and makes an excellent load bearing system for 25-30 pounds. My daughter is short and has a hard time with a pack fitting her. She is known to experience pack collaps at around 20 pounds. My pack fits better, and I can get about 30 pounds out of it. Both are with frameless packs (G5, Murmur, G4, GoLite Trek, Miniposa.)

These *can* be made. Just hem up a couple pieces of fabric and add them to the back panel. FWIW, the back/lumbar cushioning is excelent and the load bearing is medium.

PostedJan 23, 2014 at 8:18 pm

I'm currently using a GG Gorilla (loved the Murmur, but a bit too small for some trips).

I started with a Wide Ridgerest solite. Cut it to torso shape, then trimmed it down to 48" or so. Then cut about 20" off the bottom. I fold that 20×20" section in half, and it fits perfectly in the pad sleeve. The upper torso pad which is about 25"x28" works great burrito style inside the pack. It can also be rolled tightly and fits in the water bottle pocket on the exterior of the pack, secured by the compression cords.

James Marco BPL Member
PostedJan 24, 2014 at 8:10 am

Yeah, the Ridgerest works well. The Luna or NightLite pads have bumps which can be "trained" to nest with a shears. An electric knife works a bit better. I cut it down into 10-10.5" sections x the width. Then tape them together. Up to 5 can be added to the pad keeper on the GG packs, though 5 is a bit tight. I usually use three with a NeoAir. These old bones like to be comfortable. The AirBeam does not work as well, nor, does the neoair…even inflated. The bumps also lock the layers together adding stiffness when hiking. It can be warm when hiking, good andior bad, depending. The big advantage is it uses NO interior volume. I use the 5 layer pad when I know I will be not be sleeping in a shelter. It doesn't supply enough cushioning for hard floors. However, you need some sort of ground sheet. I usually use a piece of 3mil plastic. When I bring the NeoAir, I skip the ground sheet. It doubles as one, but requires a little more ground selection.

PostedJan 24, 2014 at 9:13 am

I prefer not to use the pad sleeve in my older model Gorilla, or use any back pad at all. Anything more than a single thickness pad puts the pack too far from my back, and the increased insulation and tighter fit makes my back sweat more.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
Loading...