Topic

Franco’s stove

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Franco’s stove

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

Finally after testing this new design for a few days ( please let me know if it has been done before…) I am happy with this version.
    I modestly call it Franco's stove.
    My aim were :
    a very simple easy to make design
    Cheap or free components
    Quick boil
    Efficient
    Be able to boil 1 liter
    No priming required
    Not too wide flame
    Be able to simmer
    No popping,flaring or hissing noises

What I have is :
    Half an hour to build using commonly available tools
    Components :Two tuna cans (free)
    One soda can sleeve (free)
    One piece of coat hanger wire (free)
    One piece of lantern wick (a few dollars)

Tot weight 50 g
    Boiling time
    6 min 10 sec for 500 ml at 13c /55 f (air and water temp) + 1:30-2 min boil 1/2 oz of fuel
    12:30 min for 1 L + 7 min boil * 1 oz of fuel

The 500 ml is an average for several boils using a titanium 5 " wide 900 ml pot
    The 1 L is from 1 boil only using an aluminum 2 L pot

***The wick insert makes this design work. It is placed standing in the center of the bottom can.
    About a third of the diameter of the can.
    ***The flame mostly comes from under the coat hanger wire. That needs to be about 3 mm above the rim of the can. It will not work otherwise.

The stove produces pure blue flames with a 10 sec start and a constant output after that.
    I was testing with the window open but have not tried it outside.

Tomorrow I will work on a top that can be used with mugs.

Franco
    Tools
    tools
    components
    components
    Flame pattern
    flame pattern
    simmering
    simmering
    Just a candle but it works !candle

ke wu

@asidesign

Locale: Block seven

Nice Works!

I only have a similar one,but not completely same(no pot stand necessary).

turbo1

Schematic drawing

turbo1-3

Mitchell Keil

@mitchellkeil

Locale: Deep in the OC

Very Interesting Franco, but help us out here. What is the fuel used? How does the candle fit into the picture and the wick? And how do you use the piece of coat hanger in the stove? Is it a pot support (seems to be) that raises the pot for some reason? Sorry about being so dense but I can't tell much from the pictures.

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Ke Wu
    I have deliberately gone away from the soda cans because they don't last more than a few burns if the flame hits the walls. Amazing design though !!!
    Mitchell
    The fuel is alcohol (mentholated spirit) in this case ( Australian standard) it is 97% Ethanol.

If you look at the top part , the one with fewer holes, you will see a tongue (rim) at the bottom. That creates some pressure on the chamber below (bottom can) and allows (after the alcohol has burnt) to insert a little shelf, in this case a trimmed bottom of a soda can (not shown) to sit a candle on top of it. The candle will just keep the pot simmering. Should work well with a "cozy" on top of the pot in cold weather. ( in my case, I just get the boil, add the ingredients , let the stove extinguish it self, and shove the pot inside a "cozy" ( a bag made out of a reflective sun screen protection for the car).
    You could also just add more fuel and keep the boil going. One oz should keep it going for another 8 to 10 minutes.
    The coat hanger wire is indeed the pot support you see in the various shots. It is there to allow the top of the can to breathe, the stove does not work without it.
    In the second picture you see the four components. Bottom part (fuel reservoir) top (spacer/stand) the bent coat hanger wire (pot support/spacer) and a piece of rolled up soft can skin with the wick , a piece of fiberglass fabric. It can be purchased as "lantern wick" (not the cotton variety…) or from auto accessories section in several stores.
    Thanks for you interest.
    I am now playing with a shorter top section but so far this one still works better.
    Franco

I have done some test with the short top version but for the 10g saving it is not worth the bother.
    It would be if it performed as well, but it does not. Cutting the top off also makes the can a bit flimsier, the solid feel of the double version is one of the features I really like.
    Anyway, here it is…
    pretty version

more iside informationinside info

Mitchell Keil

@mitchellkeil

Locale: Deep in the OC

Thanks,Franco. Much better pictures to show the construction and operation features.Pretty cool little stove idea — two fuel types — one to boil and one to simmer. Well done!

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

With a different top part (in this case also a different bottom but it does not matter) it can be used for mugs as well. The mug in the picture is 2.5" wide at the bottom.
    Similar performance to the pot version.
    Francomug version

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools