Topic

Users of the SMD Skyscape Scout

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
PostedJan 22, 2014 at 3:23 pm

I recently noticed this tent, and have become very interested, but have a few questions. First of all, how is the venting, especially during rain?
It doesn't seem like there are any vents, other than what is on the bottom part of the tent, when the vestibule is zipped up.
Are there any condensation issues, other than what is to be expected? How is the room at the end of the tent? Do your feet rub up against the wall?
It looks like a very roomy, light tent, especially in the trekker version.
How does it hold up to wind?
It seems like a great tent, just would like some advice from current,and or, past owners.
Is there something out there that is better for around the same price range?

Brian Johns BPL Member
PostedJan 22, 2014 at 4:18 pm

Very vented. Easy to control too but how long your guylines are, though one thing I really like is that the tent has short, built-in guys that tension well. But I'd say even in a downpoor, you'll have sufficient venting around the base for 360 degrees. I owned and used both the Scout and Trekker. For $100 more, I'd get the Trekker and not mess around having to sell the scout to get it later. Mine came in under weight at 23 oz. in the bag. The Scout I had was also underweight. 32 oz. maybe?

PostedJan 22, 2014 at 8:08 pm

I appreciate the insight! Great help! Glad to know it has good ventilation, as sometimes, it is hard to tell from just the pictures. Yeah, I agree, that spending the extra money is worth the weight to cost ratio. Seems legit to me. How did you do with the small vestibules? Did you purchase the porch option, or whatever it is called? That looks pretty nice, especially for cooking in the rain. Once again, thanks for your reply!

PostedJan 23, 2014 at 6:16 am

Had one and used a few trips, including a night of rain where water got in..The one I had to me had nothing resembling a bathtub floor…I sold mine and stick w.A Hexamid solo plus, or TT Stratospire 1..the Scout is easy to set up and has some nice features..There is the Lightheart gear solo tent that is similar, lilttle more space, and has what appears to be a definite bathtub floor…The Scout is a great price.

Angus A. BPL Member
PostedJan 23, 2014 at 11:31 am

I've been using my scout for over a year now and so far so good. It's seen some rain and cold weather in the 20's. Only experienced major condensation once but overall, I am really happy with it.

It's roomy for one person and at 5'10, my feet never touch the foot end. For the price, you really can't beat this 34 oz. tent.

I have a crap load of photos on the details, let me know if you're interested in seeing some of them.

Brian Johns BPL Member
PostedJan 23, 2014 at 8:02 pm

I didn't get the roof option. I don't think i'd ever spend enough time to need it. If I was in a wetter area maybe, but I'm not sure it does winds well. I just could not get a solid review and so I never went "there."

I got along with the vestibules fine. It would be nice to have a pro put a zipper in the right side, but I just used that for ventilation and view. The vestibule is enough to cook in, and you can really guy the sides out a lot to make the entry side have rain protection (not for downpoors) and "wings" that give more view. Easy enough to cook in for sure, and room for boots and a small pack. I always kept my pack inside. The scout is a great value too. It's just that the Trekker is close to 30% lighter, and shelter is always a good place to save weight. I got my scout to see how I'd like it. I learned very quickly I did after it held up solid to a long night of 35+ mph winds. It was so windy everyone retreated to their tents right after dinner at 7:30. My Scout didn't give up a flap.

PostedJan 23, 2014 at 8:52 pm

Thanks again folks for the comments, one reason i love this site. I was a bit concerned about the height of the bathtub floor with rain and all. I am 6 foot, and use an inflatable pad, so might rub on the wall. Funny you mentioned the stratospire 1, am looking at that too. Looks huge, but kind of tricky for set up. Yeah, i couldnt find much info on the porch option, makes it tougher to bite the bullet on that feature. Even still, it is a great deal it seems to me, considering how light it is for the price. I have a tarptent moment, and love it, just looking for something new. I would most likely get the trekker, if i dont get the stratospire 1. I hate how difficult deciding on new gear is, with all the choices.

Brian Johns BPL Member
PostedJan 23, 2014 at 9:17 pm

There are so many options to choose from. Even the scout should come in lighter than a silnylon Duomid with a separate inner net. So you really can't beat the price/weight if the fully enclosed Skyscape tents. There may be more bathtub height and length IIRC.

PostedJan 24, 2014 at 7:02 pm

So, i noticed a member had a tarptent stratospire for sale, and grabed it up. Cant wait to give it a look over.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
Loading...