Topic

reasonably priced wool clothing?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) reasonably priced wool clothing?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Kevin Burton
    BPL Member

@burtonator

Locale: norcal

I want to buy a wool top as I think this will work out better for me at night.

http://www.amazon.com/Smartwool-Mens-Lightweight-Graphite-Alloy/dp/B006OYMZ22/ref=sr_1_5?s=apparel&ie=UTF8&qid=1390429947&sr=1-5&keywords=smartwool+top

But … 85 bucks? Come on… that's silly.

Is wool really that pricey?

Is there a good alternative with reasonable pricing?

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

Sometimes you can find Army issue wool field clothing. It tends to be green.

I skied for thirty years in Army issue Class A wool uniform trousers. It was worsted wool, so it was very smooth. I had a green soft wool shirt, but it was pretty scratchy.

Don't wash them hot.

–B.G.–

Steve K
    BPL Member

@skomae

Locale: northeastern US

Uniqlo has $40 merino wool sweaters, lightweight and perfect as a warmer base layer or lightweight mid. Quality is as good as anything else out there, but half the price.

Stephen Adams
    BPL Member

@stevemkedcom

Locale: Northwest

Bought a Merino wool top for $19 a couple of weeks ago at the Costco in Wenatchee Wash.
    Worn it a couple times and seems good.

Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA

I picked up a smartwool t-shirt and an icebreaker long sleeve for $30 each at steap and cheap a while back. Look for sales.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Yep, a lot of the sport/outdoor wool brands are quite pricey, but if you're willing to look outside the box, you can find amazing deals on thin merino sweaters.

I especially look for the ones that have some synthetic in them, to help with wear and tear and speed up dry times a bit.

Stores like Marshalls, TJ Maxx, Costco, etc often have them pretty inexpensive, and i've also found a bunch of lightweight, mid weight, and heavier weight mernio or lambs wool sweaters at thrift stores.

peter vacco

@fluffinreach-com

Locale: no. california

try minus33.com

Sumi Wada
    Spectator

@detroittigerfan

Locale: Ann Arbor

STP regularly has Smartwool and Icebreaker merino baselayers on sale, often closeouts of last season's colors. Sign up for STP's "DealFlyer" emails and they will constantly send you discount codes for an additional 15-30% off.

For instance, right now, Smartwool microweight merino crew is $30 after all the discounts, lightweight quarter-zip is $38. Regular prices would be in the $65-85 range.

Mark Andrews

@buldogge

Locale: Midwest

Definitely STP…An Icebreaker Oasis 200 top is $35.72 + shipping with the current 35% off codes floating around…these are my go-to base layers for everything short of summer.

-Mark in St. Louis

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

just buy em at 50%+ off ….

MEC also makes merino but its not as cheap as it used to be, though they do go on clearance

bankbreaker also makes the "red ram" line which is 200 wt and is often on sale

and "lesser" brands tend to be cheaper, but work fine functionally

smartwool, bankbreaker, ibex, etc … all those wooly companies arent worth it at full price …

;)

Richard Lyon
    BPL Member

@richardglyon

Locale: Bridger Mountains

STP gets plenty of very high end brands (Patagonia, Mountain Hardwear) that are "last year's model" or color. Always has wool base layers and sweaters.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools