Topic

HMG Porter with ski carry modifications: anyone have one?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) HMG Porter with ski carry modifications: anyone have one?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Philip Tschersich
    BPL Member

@philip-ak

Locale: Kodiak Alaska

HMG will modify your new Porter pack to make it a bit more ski-carry friendly. Here is what Mike@HMG said the additions include:

"As for the ski option, given the skis would most likely be carried in the A frame mode, I reinforce the sides of the pack with a 100% dyneema fabric. When customers decide to go with the side reinforcements I also suggest to do the same to the bottom of the packs. The side reinforcement is a $75 up charge and $25 for the bottom. The other thing I do is add a dyneema webbing loop on the bottom side of the pack to catch your binding. I'd need to know the tail width of your splitboard. Usually the webbing opening is 140mm but I can make it larger."

Anyone have this done to their Porter? Any pics of the extent of the reinforcements? Thoughts on how necessary the additions were? Seems like the ski edges could saw through unprotected cuben pretty easily if you had a gear bulge in the pack in the wrong spot.

TIA

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

"Seems like the ski edges could saw through unprotected cuben pretty easily if you had a gear bulge in the pack in the wrong spot."

Time will tell…

IntoTheGray2

From the article Into the Gray, available to Members.

Philip Tschersich
    BPL Member

@philip-ak

So I assume from the pic that is a pack that was not modified specifically for ski carry.

Anyone have pics of the Dyneema reinforcing?

Ike Jutkowitz
    BPL Member

@ike

Locale: Central Michigan

The three compression straps provide such a stable platform for the skis that I'm not too worried. After two years of doing it that way, there is still no visible wear.

Philip Tschersich
    BPL Member

@philip-ak

That's good to know. Some of our backcountry forays involve crawling through alders, salmonberries, and serious brush where your skis constantly get hung up and reefed around. Even my current burly ski packs (incorporating hypalon patches, heavy cordura, etc) have scuffs and wear. I have very limited experience with cuben and I'm just not sure what to expect when it comes to how it plays with metal edges.

Serge Giachetti
    Spectator

@sgiachetti

Locale: Boulder, CO

I had this done to my 3400 ice pack with full W/NW Dyneema. I think if you're doing a lot of spring skiing with long approaches like in the PNW, than its a great addition. If you'll only be carrying skis like that a few times a year, than I wouldn't bother. Part of the beauty (and water resistance) of the porter comes from its simplicity and minimal stitching. There are fewer seems to tape on the inside. My ice pack with the ski straps and a hydration port is a bit more complicated on the inside and requires more seem taping. The seam tape was starting to look a little messy after a couple of pack rafting trips, so I reinforced it with cuben and duct tape.

I used my previous ice pack to carry skis a-frame style for CO spring skiing and a few PNW peaks/volcanos last summer, without much of an issue. The real benefit of the ski straps is that it makes loading the skis into an A-frame much much easier. So basically if you ski a lot, specifically with long spring approaches with trail runners, it could be worth it. On the other hand, if you're ski mountaineering, and taking your skis on and off/boot packing/cramponing, its pretty easy to rig something together for a diagnol ski carry using the daisy chains on the porter. Sorry, I don't know if this is much help. I'll try to get a pick up loaded later. Regardless, its a great pack.

edit: just realized you live in Alaska. Yes, of course, get the ski carry system! (and trade in that split board for a nice light AT setup:)

Michael Sirofchuck
    BPL Member

@mr_squishy

Locale: Great Wet North

Has anyone tried carrying skis in the A-frame mode with an HMG Southwest? I'm wondering if the side compression straps are strong enough to handle skis on a short-term basis.

Erik H
    BPL Member

@telemonster

Locale: pacific northwest

Bumping an old thread.
    Can anyone speak to the durability of a non ski modified porter for durability while carrying skis? Since the 4400 is the heavier fabric I thought maybe it would be durable enough for occasional multi day trip with skis but would love some real world feedback.
    Thanks

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools