Topic

MYOG Down Hood

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
PostedJan 22, 2014 at 9:43 am

***Now for sale on Gear Swap***

Pattern was from the one available here in the forums somewhere.
Instead of making an inner shell and an outer shell, then combining, etc, I sewed 3 sides of the inner & outer of each individual piece first (left side, right side, center strip), then turned the pieces inside out to hide the raw edges, ironed it flat, then filled each piece with down (eyeballed the amount).

Then I made sure the down was evenly distributed in each piece, added sewn through baffles, then combined all the pieces together. Then added a drawcord channel and velcro.
It's got about 1.5"+ single sided loft, and about .7oz of 850FP down by my estimate.

Total weight: 1.4oz
15D Impetus 1.0, 850FP water resistant Down (allied feather)

side

back

inside

open

closed

cinched

This thing is crazy warm and super puffy around my head. I probably could have done with only .5oz down and more baffles, as this might be too warm for most trips, but I guess I'll find out when I actually use it.

William S BPL Member
PostedJan 22, 2014 at 10:13 am

Excellent job, that looks great! I've got about the same amount of down left from my quilt materials, you may have just pointed me in the direction of my next project.

PostedJan 23, 2014 at 12:26 am

Thanks William and Delmar.

The fabric is leftover 15D Impetus 1.0 micro ripstop nylon from the quilt I made last week.

I used my iron (without water and steam setting turned off) on medium setting and it was warm enough to create the creases I wanted without damaging the fabric.

I want to try using Argon next, but the 15D variety from Dutch Ware Gear. It's only $8/yard and comes in under an ounce/sq.yard and in a variety of colors.

PostedJan 23, 2014 at 2:37 pm

Nice work, looks great.

Unrelated, but btw, where did you buy that sew through fabric tape that you talked about awhile back?

PostedJan 23, 2014 at 3:56 pm

Hey Justin,

I bought it at Seattle Fabrics, and it's called Wonder Tape. It's also available at Joann Fabrics in 0.25" x 10yd and 25yd rolls.

Gary Dunckel BPL Member
PostedJan 23, 2014 at 4:04 pm

I think you did a nice job. I've always wondered why nobody makes a balaclava that can open up to act as a simple hood. You did it! I want one too.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
Loading...