Topic

Favorite “Budget” Item?

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
PostedJan 22, 2014 at 9:19 am

Don't turn this into a "Look what I found at Goodwill" thread, but…

What's your favorite budget item in your backpacking setup? I don't want to limit responses too much, but it's always exciting when someone posts a "find" that comes in at just a few dollars but performs comparably to much more expensive gear.

I think my favorite pieces of budget gear are probably my Tyvek groundsheet ($7) or my clear 3M safety glasses, which I use for night cycling ($3).

I'm very excited for the 3.5oz Nylon wind pants that Dale found in this thread: http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=64702

What gems have you guys got kicking around?

-Max

Jerry Adams BPL Member
PostedJan 22, 2014 at 9:22 am

Sansa Clip FM radio/MP3 player. $30. 1 ounce. Maybe 40 hours of battery time. FM reception not the best, but pretty good.

Someone recommended this be eliminated to save weight, but for 1 ounce it's pretty useful.

PostedJan 22, 2014 at 9:33 am

if you missed it, there was a recent longish thread on this topic. of course, i can't find it though!

David Thomas BPL Member
PostedJan 22, 2014 at 9:44 am

If I were going to spend a dollar before you dropped me out of an airplane into a random place on earth, I'd buy a bic lighter.

PostedJan 22, 2014 at 9:49 am

"If I were going to spend a dollar before you dropped me out of an airplane into a random place on earth, I'd buy a bic lighter."

+1

Or more than one if possible…

PostedJan 22, 2014 at 10:42 am

"If I were going to spend a dollar before you dropped me out of an airplane into a random place on earth, I'd buy a bic lighter."

No way, i would buy a very cheap parachute and take my chances…..

Dena Kelley BPL Member
PostedJan 22, 2014 at 10:49 am

My MSR Pocket Rocket. I know it's often looked down on in these forums, but it has been a very dependable stove, it's lightweight, and it goes with me on every trip. My other items get switched up- I have multiple packs, sleeping bags, tents and pads. But my stove (and the 800mL ti pot that I place it in) goes with me on every trip.

Robert Kelly BPL Member
PostedJan 24, 2014 at 2:10 pm

20 oz gatorade bottles as water containers attached to pack straps
DIY generic ccf cozies for the gatorade bottles in winter to keep water from freezing
Aqua Mira
Reflectix cozies for my cook pot and drinking cup
Reynolds oven bags (not turkey, the smaller one) as vapor barriers for feet in winter
Dermasafe razor blade knife
CCF sit pad

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
Loading...