I'm pondering the following question:
Is the weight of water that you've already drunk that much different from the weight of water being carried in your pack?
I ask because I know it's a common practice for people to chug filtered water at a water source, then carry very little water away from the source because their bellies are already full of water. The rationale here is that you don't have to carry as much water weight.
But I'm beginning to question how much different the two scenarios stated in the question above actually are.
Water that is in your digestive tract is probably closer to your center of mass than water carried in your pack, but I would bet this particular difference is rather small in practice.
So that leaves, what? I can't think of anything else…
If you took two identical people, and added 2 pounds of fat to one of them, then I think we would all agree that moving the mass of the fatter person would take more energy. I don't see why we don't apply the same logic to water that has been drunk. That mass certainly doesn't go away until we pee/poop/perspire/respire it out, so we shouldn't treat it like it's massless once it enters our bodies.
This line of reasoning, if sound, makes me begin to question the practice of chugging water at a water source, especially if there is a very long distance to the next water source and your hyper-hydrated bowels just get rid of the excess water in a few hours anyway (via the kidneys… you know… peeing), leaving you thirsty later on in the day when you really need the water (that you could have had if it was in your water bottle instead of in your pee puddle 10 miles back.
Is this making sense to anyone? Am I totally off base here?
I understand that the water in your digestive tract is actually doing something, but I want to restrict this discussion simply to the water weight itself, since you could presumably always just sip water out of your water bottle to get it into your digestive tract and do the same thing as the big water bolus would do (i.e. hydrate you).
I'm interested to hear some other viewpoints on this subject.


